Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wednesday


Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.   –Philip K. Dick

Sometimes I make comments on the weblit page of one of my fave authors. My desktop computer logs me in automatically, but my laptop and the computers at work do not- so sometimes I'm commenting under my name and sometimes under "Anonymous". Last night I made an Anon comment, and followed it up today with another comment under my name. The author said, "Hey, was that you at the top of the page, just not signed in?" "Yeah, sorry," "I thought so, by the writing style."

I'm trying to not overanalyze that- It could just as easily be "You yammer way too much in my comments section, so I recognize you by now, you pesky troll" or "I recognized your crappy diction and the way you overuse the winky icon" But it sure would be cool if I have an actual (non-crappy) WRITING STYLE- "creative voice" that is now recognizable by one of my favorite authors (and one I would love to be able to emulate, because she's wicked good). I hope that when I actually get some public postings up on my WIP, I will be able to summon the nerve to ask her to read it and critique. The idea is utterly terrifying- but I know it would be valuable and accurate feedback.

Monday FOD: Sil Lum Tao.

Have had nightmares every day since Thursday. Part of it was that conversation with Carlos, but I think part of it is that it's now been one year since things imploded. I feel like I've lost a year, just trying to endure through one more day at a time... and people tend to think that after a year, one should be healing and getting over stuff. I wish I got over stuff like other people seem to be able to.

Creative writing:   I have pulled several words and a few phrases out of my hat for my MC's language... basically they have their own names for a handful of certain objects and concepts that are central to their way of life (including a few things that have no direct English translation). I think this "language" sounds reasonably cohesive, since I cobbled together sounds that I tend to like. Lots of K's and I's and three-syllable words.

Now I need to come up with a few words and phrases in a language pertaining to a completely different culture in the story. At first I was just picking more stuff out of my hat, thinking, "It'll be fine, I'm making it all up anyway," But then I looked at it and realized that the "foreign" language really needs to have a different flavor to it than the MC's language, and I'm not sure how to best accomplish that.

I've been looking at examples of different languages online all night, thinking maybe I could rip off something, but I'm still flailing.

One idea that seems to be working a little bit: For a different project, I recently notated a bunch of place names from Michigan that were based on the local native language(s). I then noted a bunch of place names from Washington state which were based on THEIR local native language(s). It was pretty obvious that these were two distinct flavors. So one thing I tried last night was to write down some of the more repetitive syllables from the Michigan names, and combine them with a few other syllables, to try to capture that unique flavor. I'm still experimenting with this, so I'm not sure it's going to work- but you can definitely tell the difference between a phrase from my original "language" and a phrase from the Michigan-derived syllables.

Kyle was promoted to purple belt today... pic on the GBSea site.
---------------------
Tuesday FOD: Tai Chi short form.


Amusing to see that SIDE CONTROL has changed his blog background; it is now the same pattern as mine- and the very same COLOR as on my creative writing blog.  He is also accidentally referring to Cornelia as "Cordelia"- I know I do it because I'm a Buffy fan; I wonder if that's his excuse?

Wednesday lunchtime BJJ GBSEA.  I walked in, and there was a pair of shiny red spike heels sitting just inside the door. It was such an anomaly that I just had to stand there and stare for a moment. Then I had to look around and see who would be wearing such things on their feet. There was a girl I've never seen before, talking to the Prof.

Warmed up by rolling around with Vince a bit.

That same takedown setup that we did all last week. Both sides, two different partners.

 Then scissor sweeps from guard. We used a cross collar grip and a behind-the-bicep grip. I drilled them on both sides. I still have difficulty pulling the person on top of me, esp if I have my knee up as far as it's supposed to be. Getting further onto my side helps somewhat.

Cross-collar choke from guard. Same cross-grip with the first hand- deep, but not so deep that you can't slip JUST THE THUMB of your other hand in between it and the opponent's head. Then let the forearm of the thumb-hand loop over the opponent's head. That wrist needs to be flexed... it works even if it's not, but it works a lot better with a flexed wrist. With a flexed wrist, very little pressure is needed to get a tap. I like this choke. I *so* need to work on my subs.

One roll with Cornelia.

Cornelia said, "I wonder how that girl is going to do.... did you see those SHOES?" I started cracking up, and cracked up even harder when she added, "When I first walked in, you were the only girl I saw in here, and I thought...." I said, "YOU would not catch me DEAD in a pair of shoes like that... I have combat boots...." Then we were both cracking up.

Steve got promoted to purple! It was so funny. When Carlos called his name, he just stood there and looked from side to side with a bewildered expression, like he was looking for another "Steve".

1 comment:

  1. Hey, sorry to hear how the nightmares are so persistent.

    I lost my last training situation because the lady running the gym took a dislike to me and my former friends won't talk to me anymore.

    Six months on I've just about gotten the will to train back, but I still feel like burning my gis and belt and starting all the way fresh. Saner minds have convinced me to just pick the embroidery out of the belt, but I am undecided about the gis.

    Hope the nightmares ease

    ReplyDelete