Sunday, July 28, 2013

What 100 calories looks like



The martial arts are one of the methods that can teach the body to reawaken the sleepy senses. Those smart enough not to put them back to sleep at the end of the training see their everyday life filling up with magic. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path





134.5 (again).

Snyder's Of Hanover honey mustard pretzel pieces: 100 calories = 1/6 of a cup. Do you understand how small 1/6 of a cup is???!!??

I don't like counting calories- but I am a scientist, and my brain wants formulae. I want to see "You do A, you get B." Solid, predictable cause-and-effect. I understand that. I can work with it. I can't handle days like the one I had a few weeks ago where I ate very little, did 3 BJJ classes and found the following morning that I had actually *GAINED* a half pound. That sort of thing makes me feel like it's not even worth trying.

Plus, I'd like to know how many calories I really have to stay under in order to lose weight- and have some factual vindication that I am some kind of freak whose body gains weight just by breathing oxygen. Not that that will help my situation, but at least I can play the martyr with more heartfelt bitterness.

-------------------
Sunday lunchtime in Seattle with (newly brown-belted) Coach Peter. He is quite unhappy at being promoted, BTW. Hee hee... Jiu jitsu artists are always so hot to get their blue belts, and after that they hate and fear each successive promotion more and more. I find it amusing.

There were only 5 of us today, all big men except for Angus (who is medium-sized); a brown belt, two purples, and two almost-purples.

 King Of the Hill from various positions. No real surprises for me here. A few things, I am very good at (passing top half guard); more things I consistantly suck at (holding back mount).

 I felt that I did a decent job staying fairly competitive today, considering the sizes and skill levels I was facing.

1 comment:

  1. Heh - the only promotion I ever wanted was the third stripe on my white belt, because that gave me access to more classes. Since then, I've always felt terrible after getting promoted. ;)

    ReplyDelete