Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday evening BJJ


I just want to say that GOODWILL ROCKS. I found a white A2 Bad Boy gi, lightly used, for ten bucks and change. I have to paper-bag the waist a tad, and the jacket's a titch too long, but it's workable- and I'm not going to try to shrink it, because the sleeve cuffs are right where I want them.



(CK:)
"I talked to LD and she is interested in doing Chen with you. Next step would be getting you both in contact to set up times, which I was thinking of doing once she gets back to me next.

The two things she's worried about are that she'll learn too slowly (I told her I really thought this wouldn't be a problem for you as a teacher) and that she might not do her homework enough for you. I suspect you'll be fine...."

(Kitsune:)
"No, I'm right there with her on that- we could just go at turtle pace, and even if neither of us did anything outside of class it'll still be more than either of us are doing now. ;-) (Just kidding, I truly am still working on forms regularly, just not as MUCH as I would like to be. Still working on pelvic alignment too.)

I guess this means I need to stop dithering and decide whether or not I really want to commit to this."


Gulp.



(CC:) After being told that I'm on the bench with a sprain...

"If you're on the bench, then it's a great time to work on chi training! :-D"


Ack!


The March Revolution date has been moved to the following weekend. Unfortunately, I asked for the OLD date off, and now I am scheduled to work on the new date. I may be able to affect a trade, but this might well scud all chance of going to that competition.


Monday evening BJJ at Cindy's. We got started a bit late because Cindy was chewing out a couple of the kids for horsing around too much in their class just before ours. We also had to finish early because the capoeira class was right after us. Not liking this evening-class thing nearly as well as the lunchtime class. Sigh.

I was drilling with a new woman, the mom of some of the kids in the kids' class. She kept apologizing for being slow and uncoordinated, but she was doing fine for a newbie.

We were doing a couple of very basic drills- the foot-crossover escape from front mount to replace full guard, and upa. Those are things that I taught my BJJ 101 students, so I felt fine coaching Leilani (the new girl) through them a bit.

One timed spar with George. Noticing anew how much clumsier I am in no-gi. I tried to guillotine him- it's been long enough that I didn't remember that that never works on him. He lets me sink it in, but he never lets me get guard or any other position that will allow me the leverage to finish it. So I gave up on that, and tried some other things. He just toys with me; lets me get good positions and an inch from a sub, then he escapes easily. I thought I had him once with a kimura- I was in a good position, and I thought, "Ha- you let me go a little too far that time, now I have you!" I'm not sure why that one didn't work. I should have asked him.

I was being good about not trying to rear-choke him until after I got hooks in- Cindy's always on my case about that. I forgot to say this morning that I had been good about letting go of fruitless grips/positions. I was not quite as good about that tonight, just because I feel more unsure of what I'm doing in no-gi.

(pic- Elliot)

No comments:

Post a Comment