Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesday


Much of the time spent in our Human mind is spent making up reasons for what we already believe or have already decided. Sometimes we are explaining it to others.  Often we are explaining it to ourselves.  –Rory Miller


Rory Miller posted a great read of a blog post today; you should all go look!

Lunchtime BJJ at GB Belle. I was late because the Jeep went belly-up again, but I only missed the warmups.

Same techniques we did yesterday, lots of drill reps.

King of the hill, starting from back mount. Escape vs submit. I was put in the King line, escape position, and did really well- escaped from a succession of people. Once I was subbed and ended up in line, doing the back mount position, of course things went downhill.

More King of the hill, starting from half guard. I was in line and so starting on top. I usually do fairly well at passing top half guard, but I was not doing as well as usual today, and got beaten several times. Once I managed to pass someone and get on the bottom, of course there I was going to stay. My first challenger was a white belt who grunted and panted on top till the clock ran out.

KOTH was made awkward by the reappearance of the guy who refuses to work with me. I haven't seen him for a few months, since he got his black belt, and I was not pleased to see him again. Once more, I had to grab people behind me in line and push them to the front when I drew That Guy, and had white belts give me WTF expressions. I hate this. It makes it look like I'm scared to fight That Guy, and that I'm cherry-picking my opponents, and gives a poor impression of *ME* to the newbies.

Open mat with Daniel. He has excellent open guard. I focused mainly on noticing what DIDN'T work the first time, and making a point of doing something different the second time. Mostly succeeded with that. Him and his damn inverted guard. I was perturbing him somewhat by grabbing for his feet, although of course I couldn't really finish anything there.

The recorder is here. It's so cute! It has a nice sound, although *very* high. The fingering chart is weird, though. It must have some kind of recorder-specific symbiology that I don't get, because when I tried to do a scale, it was aurally obvious that everything after the third note was very wrong. I'll have to do some more internet research.

No comments:

Post a Comment