Friday, April 10, 2015

Drilling with hormones




After making an error, it is so easy to cling to the emotional comfort state of what was, but there is also that unsettling sense that things have changed for the worse. The clear thinker is suddenly at war with himself, and flow is lost. - Josh Waitzkin, “The Art Of Learning”


Hormones  were not my friend tonight. Come to think of it, hormones do not ever tend to be my friend. It felt like my boobs weighed about 35lb apiece and were swollen to about 8x their normal infuriatingly enormous size. It hurt to walk, much less run, and jumping jacks.... lord. (Sorry, male readers, for the TMI.... but we're all friends here... and you should call your dad tonight and thank him for the Y chromosome.)

Carlos sprang a Drill-Till-Ya-Puke night on us tonight. Standing guard passes to KOB, kimuras from closed guard, open and pass closed guard by pressing one knee down and go to side control, sprawl on turtle and then spin to the side... a few others... many sets of reps interspersed with pushups (the kind where you have to balance on one hand and high-five your partner after each rep). Peter and I cheerleadered one another on, and he did really, really well- pushed himself very hard even though he was about to keel over.

When we were almost dead, Carlos had us all pair up again and spread out in sparring formation as he set a timer- then he said, "partner stretches." and we all moaned in relief.

Finished with a roll with Christy- I made her start in standup, and we stood up a few times again during the fight.  She tapped me a handful of times, I did not get any on her. Her sweeps are very good. As this is my worst weakness, I am always admiring when people have masterful sweep skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment