Saturday, November 7, 2015

This commute is killing my training.....




You may think you have an ace up your sleeve. Hell, you might even have one. But recognize that the other guy has three or four. If he didn’t think he had something that would let him win, he wouldn’t play. –Campfire Tales From Hell


I have done four classes since my last blog post. Still struggling a lot with insomnia and the resultant generalized "feeling like crap" as well as the issue of not feeling safe- or just plain not feeling like- driving to the school and back. Also feeling lazy about blogging.  :P  All I want to do is sleep, and since I can't sleep, all I feel like doing is nesting with a pile of books. I really want to go to jiu jitsu- I miss it, I crave it- but I'm struggling.

Anyway, I remember working on clock chokes; I remember working with three white belt guys over two days who were all respectful enough that I felt comfortable giving pointers. One of them in particular thanked me several times. It always feels so good. I really enjoy helping newbies, when I feel like they are actually listening to me- and I think I'm good at it.

I remember rolling with the visiting prof, whom I am pretty sure had me pegged as the village idiot because I kept asking him to show each technique One More Time. He started looking me right in the eye while he taught the class, and helped me more than anyone else in the room. That's great, although it did make me want to show him- when we finally rolled- that I actually do know a thing or two. I think I surprised him a bit.   :)

Worked with Chrisanne last night, which was wonderful. Hip throws, hip throw to armbar, armbars from mount. I am getting better at remembering to pinch my knees together, which has ever been the detail I tend to neglect.  Chrisanne and I did two spars (from standing) at the end... they were great spars. We are so evenly matched.

It's been raining for a week and a half, so walks with the dogs have also been curtailed- surely a
contributor to my general laziness. Finally got a 3 hour hike on Weds and an hour each Thurs and Fri. Was a bit sore after the 3 hour, but felt much better overall. Dogs get woefully stiff- and January gets very restless- when they are not getting hikes, so it's great incentive... although I can't do anything about the weather.

The Halloween candy situation at work was reather devastating. And now we are swinging into The Holidays. It would be good to try to keep my eating under some semblance of control.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, good to see you blogging again - you have one of the few BJJ blogs I have bookmarked and regularly check in to see what's happening.

    I have been a bit down in the dumps myself lately, but I'm feeling more motivated and ready to roll than in a long time after this weekend.

    Instead of moping around the house like I have the last month, I went to the range and shot a bunch of rounds at zombie targets, then I went out to a bar with my wife where we laughed and drank too much weird German beer. On Sunday I listened to loud punk music all day and ate too much junk food. It felt really good to get out of the house and get the blues out of my head.

    Sometimes it's good to just go out and do something fun, something out of the ordinary. Do something that isn't work, isn't training, etc. Blow off some steam and have some freaking fun! Something I don't do enough of - I'm more of a glass 1/2 empty guy...

    Well, hope you're feeling better soon and keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The BJJ journey is full of ups and downs and inevitable motivational hurdles. We just can't quit. And zombies are never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete