Thursday, January 7, 2016

The hard part is getting back up.





"This is a beautiful moment we're having. Can we please fight?" -Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Thursday lunchtime BJJ in Bellevue.

I missed a lot of training the last few weeks.... several holiday closures at the school combined with several extra shifts I picked up at work because I need the money. Also, it has been cold and rainy, which makes me less eager to go out and hike with the dogs. I get out a few times a week using the incentive of scheduling walks with other dog parents- then it's not as easy to flake out.

Although the prescription sleeping meds have dialed my insomnia back from a severity of 10 on a 1-10 scale to about a 3... sometimes a 2..... I have been having a lot of nightmares. I am going to try scaling back the dosage and see if I can still get to sleep- but with fewer nightmares- on a lower dose. Additionally, the meds have made me gain 10lb. I had been afraid of that- I even told the doc when I first went in, "Please don't put me on anything that's going to make me gain a lot of weight," Well, I NEEDED to get help because the insomnia was bad enough to threaten my ability to function at all, so I guess I'm better off.... but I'm not liking being this heavy.   :(

Another thing- I Britney'ed all my hair off. It's definitely not my best look, but it's not going to be in my face while I'm rolling, nor will anyone be putting their elbows or knees down on it. On a practical self-defense front: no hair grabs. On a practical grooming front- washing and drying time is now nil, and my head isn't cold for hours after a shower.

Opponent stands up in your closed guard. Keep your back on the ground. You grab hir heels, put your feet on hir hipbones, and pull/push. This is one of my favorite things to do on the mat, but now comes the hard part- getting up (LOL).  Keep ahold of the far leg as you swing both of your own legs to one side and move belly down to side control. I found myself, as the uke at this juncture, turning slightly toward the opponent and bending my matward knee, laying the outside of my thigh on the mat, to protect my knee. As the attacker, I note that moving to side control gave you a lovely opportunity to crunch your weight down on that knee as you go by, just in case you are in the type of situation where that would be warrented. Hint- as you move into side control, try to get that far underhook.

Opponent stands up in your closed guard. Keep your back on the ground. You have hir sleeve cuffs. Place your left foot on hir right hip, do an outside hook with your right leg and grab hir heel on that same side. Now move your left foor down to hir knee. You still have one sleeve grip- now yank partner forward with that as you shove the knee back with your foot. That forward yank is key- it won't work otherwise. As usual, I find myself cheating- or neglecting altogether- pulling motions because I am always so oriented to pushing. Once I get past this block, it's going to elevate my game dramatically...... right now I'm only doing half the job. There's almost always a pull *WITH* a push.

Anyway, the uke goes down, and now you put your knee to the floor and yank that sleeve up so you can slide into scarf. Again, do not neglect that underhook.

King Of the Hill: closed guard, pass vs sweep. My work was meh today. I have a leg injury that I'm not sure how I got. It's worse tonight after BJJ and a dog hike.  I have two longer hikes and one more BJJ class scheduled for this weekend, so I am really hoping it will not get any worse.

One roll with Camille. She's doing great. Great passes. Sublime pressure in top side control. Needs to work on subs from the top. She could keep me there, but not sub me.

No comments:

Post a Comment