Saturday, April 9, 2016

Never do that.... oh wait, except for this instance.

 
 
Awareness, by itself, is not enough to help you avoid a criminal threat. In fact, criminals usually expect their victims to feel afraid, and some criminals feed on that feeling. Really nasty criminals encourage a victim’s fear and even work hard to increase it. A person who feels alarm but is not prepared to act is an ideal victim for such a criminal, because that person fits neatly into the script the criminal expects to play out when he attacks.
Be smart: be prepared *and* aware!  -Kathy Jackson
 
 
Thurs eve BJJ in Kirkland.



Side control escapes involving a elbow-to-wrist brace across opponent's collarbone and a body turn AWAY from hir. I have such trouble with that. This is one of the techniques that the white belts actually pick up FASTER because they don't have years of "NEVER TURN AWAY FROM THE OPPONENT!!!" to try to break out of.



One of these techniques was designed to take advantage of the moment that the opponent slips hir arm from the near side of your head to the far side in preparation to keylock you. I need to try to remember to experiment with that live.



A little rolling with a few white and early-blue belts. I was able to handle everybody fairly well. I know that Bellevue- which is rife with people better than myself- is the best possible place to learn, but it sure helps the self-confidence to go to Kirkland and just tool up on four or five people in a row to remind yourself that you can actually do some jiu jitsu.



Friday evening women's class in Bellevue. Roundhouse kick to your hip, you step with the arc, then overwrap the ankle and press the knee out to take down. Step in to brace the leg, then ankle lock.


.....aaaaaaaaaaand more side control escapes, this time the one I have always hated: the one where you snake under the armpit and then roll to your belly, to turtle, to sit-out. I have always struggled with the mechanics of this (although I am very flexible, several bits of this sequence exploit the few ways in which I am *NOT*) as well as the terror or getting 1)smashed back down, probably with my elbow breaking in the process... neck feels distressingly vulnerable as well here..... or 2)getting pinned on my belly.... I do not like being flat on my belly underneath my (usually heavier and stronger) opponent. I was like, "Oh God, *this* shit again....." but tonight was the first night where I actually felt like I might be starting to grok this one. It helped a lot to have done those bracing side control escapes the night before. Something just clicked after having worked this series of moves in sequence. I'm still not very jazzed about the idea of trying this live, but it makes a little more sense now.



The problem with this women's class is that I am too tired to do the following class (which I miss), and there is almost never any live rolling (so far). I was feeling very hungry for some live rolling, even though I was pretty tired and not thrilled with the idea of drilling *or* rolling with fresh men. I really wanted to roll with Chrisanne, but she was tired. Still, she was waffling a bit, which made me keep my gi on and sit on the sidelines with her hoping she would get a second wind. The class was all sparring (damn!), and Carlos was not at all pleased with the concept of me and Chrisanne sitting out part of the class and then coming in JUST to roll with each other. He was like, "You're welcome to come in, but if you do, you are staying on the mat for the whole class." Finally I gave up on Chrisanne and went back in. Had a couple of good rolls, although I got fairly dominated. Kevin is amazing. I haven't worked with him in a long time, and it blew my mind at how flexible, technical, and stellar he has become. I remember working with him when he was a white belt, and it is very inspiring to see how far he has come.


2 comments:

  1. Haven't seen you post to your blog in a while - hope eveything's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for asking! Work's been nuts and my two elderly dogs have been eating up a lot of my time. My last two classes were all sparring and I didn't have anything to say about them. Hoping to get in today.

    ReplyDelete