Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Gingerbread milkshakes!


Back up to 130 on the scale. I blame my stress-fueled candy 0rgy on Friday after the vet's; and the fact that I hit Pizza Hut on Sunday in between work and Lindsey's class because I didn't have time for anything else; and then lunch with SK after practice yesterday. Although I WILL note that the first thing I saw when we walked into the Red Robin was a cardboard table tent advertising gingerbread milkshakes. Red Robin has good milkshakes and malts. With whipped cream, and they give you the metal cup of leftovers that has almost a second full shake in it. I got a salad and a water. The salad was one of those big ones with breaded chicken tenders, cheese, bacon bits, and honey mustard dressing- so it was not really a healthy salad. But it was healthier than a gingerbread milkshake- which I had to watch SK devour. It's not fair. He can eat whatever he wants, and he's still going to look like a Calvin Klein underwear model. I am going to have to watch it this week if I don't want to find myself climbing back up into the 130's again. To make matters worse, some Bad Santa filled the jar on the kitchen counter with mini peanut butter cups.


Tuesday morning no-gi at Cindy's. I was dragging a bit- feeling tired, sore, and I had a little headache which slowly got worse as the afternoon went on.

We did some more of the same scarf hold reversals that we'd done last night.

Then start in scarf hold, get the elbow down, get one hook in, punch your top arm over the opponent's shoulder, and get to knees. You may be able to armlock that arm; but if not, take the back.

Then: pretend you're going for scarf hold reveral number one, and walk your hips out. The opponent scoots after you, chasing you. Hug him with both arms (there's that gable grip again), tuck your hip under his, and roll him first up towards his head and then over to reverse. His own scooting momentum should help you roll him. I've drilled this one a few times before at Gracie's, so it was familiar.

Positional sparring from closed guard. After being pwn'ed by Cindy, George, and then Frank, I lost it again. When I found myself being helplessly mounted by Frank for the eleventy-eighth time, I exclaimed, "God DAMN it!!!", extricated myself, and stormed out the door to sit on the steps for a few minutes and collect myself.

While I was outside, Cindy must have told George to throw me a bone (or maybe he took the cue by himself), because when I came back and restarted, I tapped him four times in as many minutes. I appreciate that people are trying to be nice, but it really doesn't make me feel any better- it's not like I don't *KNOW* they're letting me have stuff. Then Cindy again- she didn't give me any subs (I don't think she ever has handed me a sub), but she went light on me and let me have some positions.

(pic- I don't even know any of these women, but I thought it was a great picture. Look at those guns!)

6 comments:

  1. This is a pet peeve of mine this fixation with weight as a measure of health. When people say I gained 5 lbs. that doesn't mean anything. We need to ask why we gained weight. Weight per say is effected by muscle, fat and water. What happens is people will start a workout and start weighing themselves. As they work out the first week or so, they notice that their weight stays roughly the same ( unless your starving yourself). This causes them to get discouraged and quit. When in actuality they lost body fat and gained muscle. The bust thing IMOP is to buy a full length mirror and if you feel better go with that.
    Sorry, what made me think of this is you just used 130 lbs. as some mile stone for you, and I as the reader don't have anything to base an opinion as to whether this is a good or bad. I would need hight and BMI.
    Sorry for the rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often say that the hardest thing about jiu-jitsu is emotional self control. Take some deep breaths, and try to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL-- I was looking at that picture trying to figure out which one was you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use weight as a measure of health, but I do know that more than 130 on my 5-foot frame is more fat than I want to be carrying, especially if I'm competing. 124 is about right (since I'm muscular and not a Hollywood reality TV star). I got up to 138 earlier this year, and it was a long hard slog back to 127. I'm not obsessing if I'm a few pounds over my goal, but I want to be really careful to not get that far gone again... it's just too much work to come back from. I have really poor self-control around junk food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This wasn't ment to be a personal attach. I've just all to often seen unrealistic goals being set basted solely on weight. IMO health should be based on how you feel. Its a better indicator of health. And, this not to say this what you where doing, just sometime as I read things pop into my head and I write them down.
    Good luck on your health goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ps. You know your body better than some loud mouth guy setting at his computer, so go with what works for you, as if your need my permision.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete