Saturday, April 28, 2012

Judo throws


Those who have never approached their bodies as temples have no idea of what they are missing. The frog at the bottom of the well sees only a fraction of light and believes it to be the whole sky. The same happens to those who have lost the address of their bodies.
-Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



My allergies were bad on Thursday, and worse on Friday- so much worse that I didn't make either class. I could barely breathe at all, and I find that breathing is something you actually need to have on the mats. When it's that bad- even if I haven't taken any meds- I feel so exhausted that I can barely move. I felt awful because I'd specifically told Carlos I would be there Friday morning, but I just couldn't function.

Today, one of Nelson's buddies from his judo school taught a seminar at Sleeper. All throws, all the time! I was a little smug to find that I was a bit of a "ringer" in this class... all except for the one takedown that I'd never seen before, and of course I muffed THAT one rightously! All the rest of my throws, however, recieved comments of "Good!" from the instructor!

It was a lot of fun. I had a nice partner, although inexperienced enough that the landings were not always as gentle as one could wish. We were finishing each round ahead of the others enough to kick out some extra reps, which I always appreciate in a partner. That also gives me an extra opportunity to try stuff on the Stupid Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment