Monday, April 30, 2012

Sunday


When you write a story, you're telling yourself the story. When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are *not* the story.  -John Gould

Lunchtime BJJ at Gracie Seattle. My work schedule makes it so hard to do Sunday class, but I like Lindsey's classes, and also I felt like I had to make up for bailing on Friday.

Ankle pick drills. I felt like a rock star doing ankle pick drills. I guillotined my white-belt partner when he ducked his head too far. You don't have to be a Gracie to perfect your basic drills if Lindsey's class, you just have to show up- because he has a few faves that he'll make you do over and over.

There were only about 10 of us- which was nice, because that allowed Lindsey to make a few small corrections on each person.

Back mount and escape from same. I had a smallish blue belt this time. Usually I am good at escaping back mount and poor at doing anything FROM back mount. This time it was the opposite. I'm not sure if it was because I had a partner who wasn't a giant for a change, or maybe he just isn't good at escaping back mount. I still couldn't really HOLD it for long, and was not having a lot of luck choking him, but I continually transitioned to front mount or side control without losing the reins.

King of the hill, same. This time not so good. All the other guys were pretty big. Again, though, we each got a little personal feedback. Mine was that if you're back mounted and groping for a choke, it doesn't do any good to keep darting your hand around in there after the guy has begun to defend. (Lindsey: "You're never gonna get that." Me (genuinely puzzled): "I'm not?") Instead, reset and let him wonder which side you're going to come from next, or if you might do something totally different.

No comments:

Post a Comment