Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday




A sensitive body gives back to life its natural intensity. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



I'm afraid to weigh myself right now. My ideal weight is 124. For the past year, I've been running about 134. I haven't been competing, so it was easy to just blow it off. For this past month, I've been on the bench with ringworm, and my diet was very poor while I was out of town. I can tell just by looking in the mirror that I'm at least 137, maybe even a little heavier. I'm reasonably okay with being 10lb over, but I do not want to see the 140's- which at my height puts me firmly in the "stocky" category. I see a trip to the chicken breast and egg sections of Safeway in my near future. Sigh.


Wednesday lunchtime BJJ at Gracie Seattle. Standup: collar grip and elbow grip. Step back to pull opponent off balance, scoot back in and inside-hook leg for takedown. KEEP TOE ON THE MAT. End in closed guard. KEEP ELBOWS IN. Posture up. Break opponent's lapel grip, cross hir arm over hir body.  Clamp everything down tight. Slide grip down to sleeve end. Stand up, on the side that you've arm-tapped first. Switch grip to opposite hand. KEEP ELBOW IN. Yank! Reach-into-back-jeans-pocket guard break. Clasp opponent's knee and squat parallel. Opponent should be slightly on hir side. Let go of knee and grab collar, grind forearm into throat. Stack, pass.


I was working with Angus- who doesn't treat me like a girl- and this was a lot of get-up-get-down, when my cardio sucks and I'm still struggling with this terrible bout of allergies. I was blown by the end of drills (truthfully, I was pretty blown by the end of warmups), and had to duck out of open mat.



Weds evening BJJ at Sleeper. Bottom side control. Frame up, shrimp out, get half guard. Stick your topmost knee in to get some space, then swim your topmost arm under opponent's arm. Shrug shoulder violently. Duck out, scoot to the side, take the back.


Same opening to half guard. Then duck head in deep (push opponent forward by the butt if necessary), grab opponent's ankle, feed to opposite hand. Grab opponent's knee and hug tight. Switch legs. Depending on what opponent is doing with hir arms, you can either push forward, roll hir overtop of you to reverse, or scoot out the back as before.


I got to drill with Jalen, so extra reps for both of us.


Jalen has a back injury, and although it was a big class tonight, it was a big class full of *BIG* white belt guys- so no one else was even vaguely appropriate for me to roll with. Cindy had Jalen start in top half guard or in my closed guard, and I just tried to work from there. I was not allowed to get on top of him. He tried that nasty thing on me again, where he feeds my arm behind my back. I recognized it immediately this time, and defended it the first few times, then he muscled it. Ow.




I'm covered with fingerprint bruises today. I've missed being covered in fingerprint bruises.

No comments:

Post a Comment