Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday evening





A warrior is a master at facing conflicts, and conflict is what stands between us and the fulfillment of our desires. Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path




Wednesday evening gi class at Sleeper. Yes, I wore the belt. I did not want to, but Cindy wants me to, although she did say she wasn't going to force me.


Opponent is in your guard. Get 2 end-of-cuff sleeve grips. Open guard and hip out a bit, keeping knees together, then quickly  open to butterfly guard. Opponent steps one foot up, in the middle. Hook your toe behind the knee and place other foot on opponent's other knee, pushing it out as you sit up. Place your hook foot on the mat. Pull opponent's arm between hir own knees and switch grips. Reach over hir shoulder and grab a handful of the back of the gi (if s/he is posturing up, grab the lapel instead). Dump hir and go to side control.

Next: add a kimura. You can step over the head to finish.


Opponent is in your closed guard with hands on the mat at your hips (or you can yank hir forward to put hir there). Open and scoot out just enough to get room to sit up. Reach over shoulder and get kimura grip. Hip out as you fall back. Replace closed guard if possible- make sure top leg is high enough on hir back to keep hir head down. Hip out a bit more. Clasp hir arm close to your chest and make sure hir elbow is bent. Curl your body up to finish- DO NOT just push hir arm away from your body.


Spars with Terry, Lamont and Soni- Soni is getting very good. Her biggest problem is keeping her base- once she learns that, she's going to be hard to handle. I noticed that the one thing I bugged her about last time- making sure that if I got one deep collar grip, she needed to defend against me getting a second- she had that down pat this time. I tried several times, and never caught her out.  Terry and Lamont tapped me left and right as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment