Friday, October 26, 2012

Whoopie, I'm on drugs!!!




BJJ isn't about doing a technique against resistance, it's about doing techniques that your opponent doesn't expect, and catching him off guard or off balance.  Kaungren


Jiu jitsu is one of the few obsessions wherein you can walk into a roomful of people and say, "Wow, my butt hurts so bad from last night," and not only does no one think you're twisted, half of them agree that their butts hurt from last night too.



Whoopie, I'm on drugs!!! I'm on three different prescriptions, and one of them is a new inhaler. I'm always very excited to try a new  sinus medication... none of them have done doodly squat so far, but hope springs eternal. I also have antibiotics for the sinus infection.  The allergist wants me to repeat the skin scratch tests.... the last ones I had done were on the east coast and with 1980's technology. I told her I'd attempt to get a referral for that.


Friday evening no-gi at Sleeper. Cindy had to leave, and put Lamont and Terry in charge. Tyrannical despots! They made me do pushups for "speaking negatively" (ie, making a self-deprecating comment about my ability)!


Variations on Keylock from side control: If my little puny hand won't go all the way around the guy's thick wrist, I can try gripping the meat of the hand (which is something we worked in Kung Fu, so I can do that). Turn hir palm away from me.


Alternately: Use the arm farthest from hir head to hold the near hip down, then tiptoe around over the head. Backsit and scoot backward so that you are shoving hir head with your butt and and kinking hir neck. Now you have plenty more room to crank the lock.


Variation on armbar from guard: shove one of the opponent's elbows across, then hug around hir shoulder and underhook the armpit with your hook hand. Hug hir tight against your chest, open guard (I had better luck if I put a foot on the hip at this point and used it to hitch myself around a bit further), and try to rock/maneuver hir enough to underhook the leg. You may be able to sweep from here. Otherwise, you can armbar the arm that s/he has crossed over.


We played with a couple of other things, but my brain was little too full at that point to fully absorb those.


I rolled with Terry, and asked him to put me/let me get in bottom half guard so that I could try to get out. Some of those efforts led to replacing guard.... Lamont suggests, though, that if my sweeps and subs from guard are weak (which they are), I'm better off trying to escape out the side and get on top or scramble.


I rolled with Lamont and *almost* completed a pendulum sweep on him... that was cool. I did complete a kimura from guard, which I'm not sure I've ever finished live before. I've tried it a lot, and Cindy is always carping on me for 1)not being in a good position before I go for it, and 2)using too much arms to push the opponent's arm away, instead of using my body.


Then Terry put me with the new guy and had me go over a basic guard break and pass to side control. Terry had already taught the pass to him, so I just had to nitpick details. (Trying to push my hips to the mat THROUGH his own knee, putting up the knee on the side instead of between my legs, bending over instead of crouching with good upright posture, leaving WORLDS of room while moving to side control, knees on the mat in side control, lack of any semblance of Shoulder Of Justice.)


Terry again. Lamont had an idea for a new exercise. Whenever he saw me in a position where he felt I ought to be doing something explosive, he would yell "EXPLODE!" and I had to do *something*, fast and hard- while Terry let up a bit in order to allow me to do it.


Things got a bit heated in this match... Terry was goading me to chinstrap him at one point, and I refused- so he retaliated by crossfacing me to within an inch of my life. I called him a Bastard. Lamont informed us approvingly that we were "fighting like brother and sister".

No comments:

Post a Comment