Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The subversive chocolate gi


It is a historical constant that the strong rule the weak, and any shade of liberty enjoyed by the weak is nothing more than the benevolence of the strong.  You need guns because the world is full of the strong, and not all of them are benevolent. -John Fogh

There it is, the naughty nonregulation chocolate Gracie Barra gi.... along with a gal who thought she was gonna pass my guard by standing up in it.
------------
On fiction writing:

I think of a first line as the scenery going by in the side window of my car.
I spend a lot of time in the car, and a lot of scenery passes by. Some of it is pretty, some of it is ugly, much of it is redundant and indifferent. It's not until something catches the corner of my eye that makes me go, "???" that I'll turn my head for a double-take.

I want the first line of my stories to have that "???" factor. I can't garantee that you'll like my MC, or find my scenery pretty, or be interested in the fistfight that's going on over in the corner.... But the "???" is universal- and almost irresistable.

-----------
A guy on one of the forums posted his white belt comp vid and asked for advice, because he was due to fight the same opponent again shortly. It was a very interesting exercise for me. I clearly recall not being able to comprehend my own freakin' NAME in my first few tournaments, much less anything intelligent about my game or my opponent's. I watched the vid, and all I saw was an endless list of A)things that the guy was doing wrong, and B)how bext to exploit them. I was able to compile an intelligent list of what I thought the opponent's strengths and weaknesses were, and a handful of simple techniques and plans that seemed like a good bet against him. Wow. I feel like I know what I am doing. Even if my brain still fills up with useless white noise when I'm on the comp mat myself.

I remember watching a knife fight on a TV show years ago, wherein the hero ended up getting stabbed- and I was all excited because with my own knife training, I was able to pick out exactly what the hero had done wrong and what he SHOULD have done instead. This was kinda the same feeling. I like it.

Incidentally, that white belt guy posted vid of his followup comp, and he had tried the two primary techniques I suggested. He didn't pull either of them off, but he recognized the openings and he tried them- and they looked a heck of a lot better than his initial vids. So that's really cool. I feel like I did some good.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment