Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thumb down





By BillinIraq, Jiu Jitsu Forums:


White Belt: "What the..", "How the...", "Where do I..", "Damn."

Blue Belt: "Sweet, I did it", "Great he didn't ...no wait...yes he did."

Purple Belt: "Okay , stay focused", "Find my sweep", "Got it, avoid the trap. Nice", Damn...there was a fourth move to that series??? Efff"

Brown Belt: "Why is he doing that?", "Oh look, an arm.","Oh look, a choke.", "Oh look, a leg", "Hehehe...he thinks he's got that defended."

Black Belt: "This new brown belt thinks he knows what he's doing..I'll just kick his ass for him.", "This purple belt needs to work armbars and doesn't realize it, I'll let him armbar me and escape every time.", "This blue belt needs to defend his neck. I'll get him in a lot of situations to help him work it.", "This white belt is learning to pass opposite of the choking arm. This will give me a chance to work digging my first hand deep into the collar and him a chance to work his passes.", "Good night of rolling, now I'm gonna go work on my shrimping skill. It could be better."



Monday FOD: Tai Chi short form



Wednesday Lunchtime BJJ at Seattle GB. I missed the warmups because I got caught by that dang train again.


From standup: judo grips, step on hip (on the side that you have the SLEEVE grip), drop to butt, swing leg out, swing it back and use that foot to wipe off opponent's grip on that side. Pull opponent into closed guard. Do not let go of grips throughout.


Now: Deep cross collar grip, Tricep grip, hip out (not too far; I tend to want to go TOO far), scissor sweep. Glenn suggests that I need to pay better attention to keeping my bottom leg on the mat and actually using it to scissor (I tend toward a "half scissor" of sorts). I think I need to open my legs wider, because when I tried to employ his advice, I became anxious that I was turning too much and exposing my back. Also, if you drop that leg to the mat too soon, the opponent can hop over it and pass.


Okay, you've completed the scissor sweep and are now front mounted. Carlos did an imitation of my front mount, and it was pretty funny. He looked just like a road kill frog. I am spreading my knees out too far, and laying the insides of my feet on the mat. Cindy has reprimanded me for this in the past also. I know why I'm doing it: When on top, I desperately want to remain untangled and mobile, because it seems like as soon as I commit to getting bound up with the opponent, s/he overturns me either with a legit sweep or just muscling. Carlos had his demo partner bridge repeatedly, while he demonstrated spreading out and then sucking back in, taking up more space every time- even pinning the guy on the side of his shoulder eventually. I'll have to experiment with that, although at this point I'm still pretty skeptical that I can defend the roll.


Anyway, you have maintained your deep cross collar grip that you grabbed when you set up the sweep. On the opponent's second bridge, you grab a second deep cross collar grip- THUMB DOWN. Choke.


Immediate impression.... I have a bad habit of trying to slide my second hand in palm up. Carlos explains that this is good from the bottom but not from the top. Thumb down, thumb down, thumb down (knocking on forehead with fist). It's a bit difficult to slide that hand in there, especially while the opponent is bucking. Carlos suggests that you can stick your thumb in the lapel at the chest and slide it up to where it needs to go. He showed us a similar slide (with the finger) a few weeks ago. I would like to employ these; I think it will be easier to sneak in that way before the opponent can get a hand up there because s/he sees your hand going for hir face. Once you get that second hand in there, the choke happens pretty quickly, with lots of room to spare. It hurts, too.... I have a headache now from the knuckles pressing on the right-side base of my skull.


Some positional drilling from the scissor sweep, then one 5-min roll with Glenn. I love Glenn, but when you're working with him, you are going to have a "nail" day. (As in, "sometimes you're the hammer and sometimes you're the nail...")

Funny (pathetic?) misspellings of the week that I have run across on Fanfic Archive:  A sad character seeking "solstice", and a sex scene that mentioned someone's ear as an "endogenous zone".

No comments:

Post a Comment