Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"You only remember the bad stuff."




One of the first things to do is learn to accept, and to expect this Power to flow through everything we do.  –Ernest Holmes




Form Of the Day: Silken Needle.


Wednesday evening gi at Sleeper Athletics. More side control escapes.



1)You are in bottom side control. Frame up, hip out a bit, use your *matward* knee (for some reason I kept wanting to use the other) to push opponent's knee back. Now it is easier for you to trap hir foot with your ceilingward foot and pull it out. Pull it far enough to crank hir hips a bit to the side. Now you should have room to replace full guard.



2)You are in bottom side control. Frame up, hip out a bit, keep elbow braced on opponent's shoulder as you windshield-wiper the forearm under hir armpit. S/he whizzers. You grab under the butt and hoist hir forward, as you turn belly-down and get to your knees. Keep your head down to the mat.


Pull opponent's near shin out and scoot so that you are kneeling behind it. If your arm is still trapped, you can limp it out at this time. Note that at no time do you want your arm across/over opponent's back.


Opponent turtles. Now you can go to the side, grab the far leg and knee, and plow hir over to take side control. Use your head to push on hir ribs to help shove.





Spars interspersed with cardio. I stayed till the bitter end and didn't sit out any rounds. I also participated in the pullups this time. I can't do many, and I also need someone holding onto my legs.


Cindy, Erin, Terry. I was excited to get a hip throw on Erin (since we drilled hip throws for the last 2 mornings at GB). Then I spent several minutes trapped in stalemate in her closed guard. I continue to have trouble breaking closed guard. I have become too reliant on waiting for them to open the guard and then trying to capitalize on it. I knew she was going to try to triangle me, so I was very wary of that.


 Terry was attacking my feet, and I found that it paralyzed me more than ever- because I was scared that any move I made was going to put my foot in his range (it sure seemed that way!) I got front mount and I tried pulling his head up off the mat, but it didn't work- he immediately reversed me anyway. I was on the bottom a lot, and felt frustrated about my inability to defend sweeps. At the end, I whined that I can't get off the damn bottom, and Terry informed me that I only remember the bad stuff about my spars.

2 comments:

  1. “... and I found that it paralyzed me more than ever”

    I’ve been dealing with this very thing for a few months now. It’s not so much a fear of being caught or anything like that, but more a fear of moving outside of my comfort zone. There’s a tendency of shutting down, and at worse outright panic, whenever someone is actively hunting deep inside one of the many holes in my game.

    I’m trying to let go of that and embrace it, and at times I have to admit that my version of “screw it, let’s see what happens” has lead to some fantastic light-bulb-finally-turning-on moments on the mats. There’s some enjoyment in that but as a whole it’s been a rough ride.

    And I have to say that I really like the way you describe techniques; they make sense to me and are easy to visualize while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    You're right, I need to just go with it- after all, I specifically ASKED him to attack my feet because I know it's a deep hole in my game.

    ReplyDelete