Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Always double-check the "to" line



Kitsune (at work, e-mailing note to self):

“Victims who survived a violent confrontation against a knife-wielding assailant consistently reported that they were completely unaware of the existence of the weapon until after they had suffered stab or slash wounds. In essence, these survivors of edged weapon attacks state that they believed they were engaged in some sort of fist fight; only later, after sustaining injuries, did they realize that the assailant was armed.” - Lawrence Kane
----------------------------------------------------------
Kitsune (Realizing half a second after hitting “send” that autocomplete sent the frickin' thing not to her home e-mail addy but to some random address owned by some random woman at my workplace with the last name of “Fox”):

!!!!!!SHIT!!!!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------
Kitsune (to random hospital staff member):

OOPS!!!!!  Sorry about that,  I accidentally sent a self-defense class quotation to the wrong addy. Apologies. (blush)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Random staff member:

Haha I just read it was wondering HUH!!!
Have a great day  :)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Kitsune:

I figured I’d better explain that one real quick unless I wanted to find myself in Human Resources, explaining it to a security guard.
-----------------------------------
Random staff member:

At least we had a good laugh ;)
---------------------------------------------------------
"Pink Team" at Bellevue. Only Cindy, Lindsey and I showed up- so we just spent the whole hour rolling, round-robin.

Then "All levels".

Opponent is turtles, you sprawl N/S and then spin to side. Place you hip against hir hip. (This was where I messed up... in fact early on, Prof Carlos came over and told me to freeze, then he crawled *between* me and my drill partner.

Kitsune: "I guess I'm leaving a little too much space there."
Carlos: "Ten pushups. Purple belt......"

Okay, so you're hip to hip. now reach under hir chest with both arms and grab hir far arm. You have to get your near shoulder right UNDER hir, which was another awkwardness for me. S/he posts the leg out on the other side to keep you from shoving hir over. You swing your foot out in front of hir head, then swing it back hard and PULL opponent's upper body with you. Get in side control, staying heavy, but keep both of hir arms trapped under your arm. Turn slightly toward hir feet, pull on hir pants, front mount. Pull up on opponent's head and slide your body around behind hir shoulders. Secure back mount. Make sure both hooks are in.

Was drilling with Ron, and this seems like a good one for tiny, flexible people. He was very smooth, and since you usually get hauled up on your shoulder a titch when they mount, it can be hard to tell that that little compact body is sneaking in there.

Drills to nearly collapse, then we finished with an obscene amount of cardio.

As we lined up to bow out, I told the guys that I didn't think I had enough energy to life my forearm for handshakes. So they all started twitching a shouder up and forward to throw an arm up in the air.

I told everybody that I was thinking about competing again... maybe the sub-only comp next month, but more likely the Revolution in November. If I tell everybody, they'll keep on me and I'll be less likely to flake out.    :-P    ;)
----------------------------------
Ugh! My workplace's health insurance is now evaluating and categorizing people (with a goal of establishing sanctions) based on their BMI. I have a huge problem with this, since BMI is an inaccurate measurment for athletes (it counts muscle as fat). Although I'm probably in the top 2% of fitness for people in that employee pool, going by BMI alone will pigeonhole me as "overweight" and rank me below fat couch potatoes.

I'm going to try to appeal. If that doesn't work, I'm going to simply lie on my forms.

2 comments:

  1. They usually have an appeal process - and even if they do, there are going to be lawsuits on this one, it's almost a given. (There was a discussion of this on the local public radio, involving a panel of doctors, insurance folks, and a lawyer. The problems of discriminatory practices were discussed at length.)

    Not to say it's not a giant pita regardless. There are better ways of implementing wellness programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect plaintiff I'd make for this. I could go to court in my bikini and let them all see what "overweight" looks like. Then we could show footage from one of my BJJ classes. Then we could project on the wall a blow-up of the letter from the company informing me that I am a cow and advising me to exercise. It would actually be funny.

    ReplyDelete