Thursday, February 6, 2014

Saturday though Thursday



Kaia appeared on tributary bank and swooped into the grouping of lanterns without a sound, like a grim spectre. –The Hole In the Clouds



Saturday comp class in Seattle. All spars. Meg, Coach Dynamo, Ian, John... I think there were one or two more in there but I can't recall. I felt competant. Meg is very technical and eager. I hope she sticks around. It was great to roll with John. It's been a really long time. He's gotten so much better. It seemed like a really good competitive roll.

Turtle Drum went well. Not a huge crowd, but enthusiastic. Bryan did everything except call/dismiss quarters. I used the Spiral Rhythm chant again. They love that. I had been planning to cast the circle with my red light saber, but at the last minute I asked my housemate if I could borrow her smaller rainbow strobe shortsword. As it turned out, Thekla set up the altar with a branch growing out of a pot and strung with illuminated rainbow stars. It was perfectly coordinated. I walked up there and stuck the short sword in the pot as if I was lighting it from the branch.

Registered for Proving Grounds on (IIRC) March 1 or thereabouts. No-gi only.  Weight will be okay as long as it doesn't go up this month.
-------------------------------
Thursday lunchtime BJJ in Bellevue.

Begin in closed guard. Grip lapels, step left foot up by opponent's hip, straighten right leg out behind you as you stand up and turn to break guard. (Brace your knee against the hip.)

Press opponent's left knee to ground, slide your rt knee through, backsit, take side control.

Next technique: you are standing, opponent lying on hir back with feet on your hips. You grip pantlegs at insides of knees. Underhook one leg and press the other knee to the floor. Slide rt knee through, then left knee. Take side control.

Multiple repeats of these, to exhaustion. Both John (this is a different John) and I kept mixing up whether we were supposed to do the backsit or the double-slide. I had to ask him to be careful on my ribs- his weight on top is amazing. Because I had already asked for that, I refrained from asking him to go easier on my knees- although it hurt like hell every time he slid over one.

3 comments:

  1. One of my teammates is looking to get a small group of us to come over for Proving Grounds. :) Why are you thinking of doing no gi only?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...I wonder if they'd let me move up a belt level? o.O I have probably 25-30lb on you, so don't know if you or they would be open to that.

    ReplyDelete