Saturday, August 30, 2014

She might bake me a cake.




The key to pursuing excellence is to embrace an organic, long-term learning process, and not to live in a shell of static, safe mediocrity. The hermit crab is a colorful example of a creature that lives by this aspect of the growth process (albeit without our psychological baggage). As the crab gets bigger, it needs to find a more spacious shell. So the slow, lumbering creature goes on a quest for a new home.  If an appropriate  new shell is not found quickly, a terribly delicate moment of truth arises.  A soft creature that is used to the protection of built-in armor  must now go out into the world, exposed to predators in all its mushy vulnerability. That learning phase in between shells is where our growth can spring from. Someone stuck with an entity theory of intelligence is like an anorexic hermit crab, starving itself so that it doesn’t grow to have to find a new shell.  Josh Waitzkin, “The Art Of Learning”


136

Saturday lunchtime BJJ in Seattle.

Same thing we did on Thursday, from the butterfly guard....

Same thing we did on Thursday, sprawling on the turtle.....

Begin in side control, opponent (role-playing as a doofus who knows nothing about BJJ) rolls away from you. As hir hip comes off the floor,  shoot your leg under it, take the back.

New and incredibly fascinating detail: as you take the back, you may place your forearm on opponent's jaw and grip your own wrist with the opposite hand, then pull on that grip. This can work if you try for the choke and their chin is too far down- it requires a fulcrum point higher on the face. It's a very "Cindy" sort of move.  (hee hee). She has done this to me. I liked it, though. Once I got the targeting down, I could hit it very smooth, quick and easy. It hurts like a mofo. It seemed like a neck crank to me, although Carlos called it a "crossface" and when I called him over to ask if I would get DQ'ed for doing this in a comp, he waffled.  I said to Chrisanne, "Cindy would probably be delighted if I got myself DQ'ed in a tournament for doing something "mean". She might bake me a cake."    ;)

As per usual on Saturdays, we did many many many drill reps. As I was working with Chrisanne and we had done 2 of these before, we were whipping them out. I was getting pretty tired by the end, and only had enough gas for 2 spars- one with a blue belt I've never seen before and one with Z.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment