Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pre-empting the triangle

Morning no-gi at Cindy's. Triangles again. Getting the hips up a bit better early on, but as soon as I started to get tired (which didn't take too long), that got sloppy.

If opponent hides arm: close triangle on what Cindy calls "the goofy side", bring your hips out, and the guy will sort of roll over and present his arm to you for a kimura. I seemed to do okay with that part.

A couple of timed matches with Lamont- Cindy told him to triangle me repeatedly, so he did, to the point where I was getting pretty frustrated with myself. She wants me to posture up in guard, and I want to hunch over the person's hips, because it seems to me that every time I posture up, the opponent simply grabs my wrists and yanks me forcefully into the triangle, and I can't do a goddamn thing to stop them. I get really, really, frustrated with that.

So she got down on the floor (bad knee and all) and had me drill posturing up in guard with my hands on her hips, and the second she opened her guard to slap on the triangle, I did one of three things:

1)Glue my elbow to my knee and get the knee OVER opponent's thigh

2)Get double-unders, seatbelt the opponent

3)Lunge out BACKWARD and get to my feet.

She says we're going to drill the crapola out of all this, and I hope we do, because I feel like I'm moving in slo-mo while the triangling opponent is too fast to be seen with the naked eye. But I really want to get competant at this, because I am sick to death of finding myself stuck in triangles. If I lose the tournament by triangle, I am going to go up in a burst of spontaneous combustion.

I really like her variation on the bullfight pass- once you get the opponent's feet to the floor, instead of planting your shoulder on them and going around, you simply charge straight at them, leap their knees and pounce in mount. It suprised/startled the crap out of me the first time she did it to me (and she landed with some- not nearly all- of her weight; even a small portion was enough to make me want to hurl). That would be gorgous (and imminently satisfying) to actually pull off in sparring (or even a tournament)!

We were there until 2:30, so 2.5 straight hours of work. Cindy gave me a lot of individual attention, which was cool.

Lamont told me I'm getting better, and I said, "Really?" It's hard for me to hear that, after getting repeatedly wiped all over the mat and feeling like I am NEVER going to get a handle on this. But he is going out of his way to be supportive, and I appreciate it, and I need to jog myself to try to be more gracious. I get so surly and sullen when I'm frustrated. And do I ever spend a lot of time frustrated at jiu jitsu classes.



Later..................

Evening BJJ in Bellevue. I didn't stay to watch the advanced class tonight, I had some chores to get done at home.

I approached Dave before class got started and asked him if he'd drill with me.... and he sorta deflected me off. It was weird (and hurtful); he's always been nice to me, and never (until tonight) made me feel as if he didn't want to work with me. Then I *really* felt like a leper, and just stood there in resigned despair and waited to get stuck with Hostility Boy YET AGAIN. But after everyone else had paired off, it was Jamie and I standing there eyeing each other sideways. That's a ludicrous pairing... he's pretty big, and light-years ahead of me in technique (this guy is Kaungren's BJJ version of "Nemesis", heh heh)... but at least he's not looking to deliberately put me in the hospital (that I know of).

Standup- guillotines. Jamie was lifting me right off my feet with the guillotine (toldja he was big). I still need to work on 1)snuggling that elbow in, and 2)not getting in such a hurry that I fail to clasp my hands properly before pulling the choke.
Then we worked a defense that removes the guillotine and gives *YOU* one instead. I can tell I'm going to have some problems here because it involves hugging the opponent over the OPPOSITE shoulder that we hug them for the other defense that we worked at Cindy's last week. I'm gonna get those mixed up, for sure.

Then, to the ground for an escape from scarf. Elbow to the mat, get to knees, take the back, press the opponent to the mat and try to kimura the arm. Alternative: a choke that is almost a clock choke, only instead of the 2nd lapel, you're grabbing the opponent's upraised arm. I like this one, although I've never seen it before, and it's a little complicated for me. I'd like to practice this one again soon if possible. Professor Carlos took Jamie away from me on this drill and gave him to Angela; taking Ruben away from Angela and giving him to me.

A little closed-guard positional training with Ruben. I detangled as soon as I could and darted around him like a bunny rabbit, trying to surprise him when I went to lunge in. As soon as I got in there and he got grips on me, though, things rapidly went downhill for me. Then Angela. I get put with Angela a lot just because we are both female- it's not a useful matchup, though, because of the extreme weight difference. She put her weight down on me once in scarf, and forced a gasping moan out of me. Then Jamie again- geez. I said, "Don't kill me." He said, "Work hard." Hoo boy. Bunny rabbit game plan again, with the same result: I don't have enough technique to have enough good, quick, skilled options for slapping on an immediate sub once I do dart in, so once I get in there, the opponent gets grips and then just proceeds to bulldoze me. Jamie did a scissor sweep on me while I was crouched with only one foot between his legs (man, I wish people wouldn't do that), and cranked my ankle and big toe pretty hard (and that's precisely why). Both sore now, I don't think sprained, but it's probably good that I have to work all day tomorrow and will not be training.

An informal signup sheet for the Revolution was passed around. I'm not really happy about these; they serve to give all of your opponents (and potential opponents) plenty of advance warning that you will be there, and at what weight class, in plenty of time for them to research you and prepare game plans tailored specifically to YOU. I would just as soon Julie not know for sure if I'm going to be at the Revolution until that morning of. No chance of that now. I guess I didn't *have* to sign it, but I was feeling peer pressure to sign it. Profs will be on my case now, pushing me harder- which is a good thing, although not something that I am exactly looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment