Monday, June 6, 2011

Some bad news


Our bodies are the kingdoms of lost continents and unknown lands. Columbus, Livingstone, Stanley, Marco Polo, and Neil Armstrong are just Boy Scouts compared to the explorers of the inner space. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



Today's Form Of the day is Spear Hand. Sunday's was the Tai Chi short open-hands form. Saturday's was Snake Versus Five Animals.

Lunchtime BJJ at Gracie Seattle. Marc came in just in time for the first drill, so I grabbed him.

Standup- two jabs, thrust kick, clinch. Then the same, adding the foot sliding behind opponent's ankle for takedown. Once I took Marc down and he clunked heads with the guy behind him who was simultaneously being taken down. That pair hadn't seemed dangerously close while they were standing up, but I still felt pretty bad as having failed to look out for my partner. Shall be more observant next time.

Reversal from scarf, the one where you roll the guy overtop of you.

Then side control to spinning armbar. I was struggling with a few specific details; luckily Cindy walked in and volunteered some advice.

Eight-minute rolls, first Marc and then Cindy. I got two keylocks on Marc. He was working on getting a triangle on me, but the clock ran out. Cindy was wrapping me up and choking me with my own gi.



Evening BJJ at Cindy's. I worked a few reps of Spear Hand in the kitchen while I was waiting for class to begin.

JB was there, but she has a lung in fection and a migraine. Alecia asked what she was eevn doing there. JB responded that she'd be fine as long as we didn't jostle her. I found that humorous.

Gi choke day (just what every girl with a migraine needs). Positional training trying to gi-choke each other from closed guard. After we choked each other a lot, I rolled with JB and then Alecia. I was not doing as well tonight as I was this afternoon- they both dominated me. I also crunched my dead finger a good one by wrapping it in my collar right against my own headgear.

Then I got some bad news- Cindy is dropping *ALL* of her adult classes after the fifteenth. She has too many other projects going on.

This blows on multiple levels.

I'm really going to miss training with Lamont, Leilani, George, and the other folks there- not to mention CINDY herself. I'm even going to miss getting crushed by Alecia; as unpleasant as that can be, it is educational.

SK and JM are much less likely to come to Gracie's then they are/were to come to Cindy's. This most likely marks the end of their training, unless I teach them myself.

My no-gi progress is going to stall where it is, since Gracie's does very little no-gi and I don't seem to be able to make the few no-gi classes that do exist.

I was doing well with the combo of different teaching styles, and now I'm back to a single feed.


Hopefully Cindy will still be having occasional impromptu open mats, and letting me know when they are. This is quite a bummer, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment