Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saturday


The road to hell is paved with adverbs. To put it another way, they're like dandelions. If you have one on your lawn, it looks pretty and unique. If you fail to root it out, however, you find five the next day…. fifty the day after that… and then, my brothers and sisters, your lawn is TOTALLY, COMPLETELY and PROFLIGATELY covered with dandelions. -Stephen King

Saturday: 133.0

I can feel every separate muscle in my thighs, because they all ACHE! I'm pretty sure this is attributable to Carlos's armbar-from guard and triangle-from-guard drills on Thursday afternoon, but probably all the squatting for that half-guard sweep didn't help either. Bad enough to need to take some ibuprofen, I think. Walking like an elderly woman.

Lunchtime Basics class followed by competition class. Your rt leg is in opponent's half guard. Wrap bottom of hir left gi lapel around the back of hir neck and use it to choke.

Then: Ezekiel choke. I was happy to get the details of this, because somehow I've consistently missed Ezekiel choke day and I've never actually gotten the lesson. Push your left gi sleeve up to the elbow, hold it there with your rt hand, and lasso the opponent's neck with your rt forearm under opponent's chin.

Pass guard vs sweep, rotating opponents. I was not doing too well today, even with the pass guard part, which I'm usually fairly competent at.

One spar, with a white belt woman that I've never seen before. This was pretty much the only interlude all day that I'm not embarrassed about. I couldn't get a sub on her, but I was on top most of the time.

Then I ducked out and went to Sleeper. Pass guard, by bracing in the opponent's armpits and standing up, then crouching with one knee up (look up and posture, elbows in). This is a bit difficult for me when my opponent (as he was today) is too tall for my stubby arms to actually REACH his armpits from inside his guard.  Anyway, two different ways to pass from there- to the knee-up side or to the other side.

Then- pin opponent's rt wrist to mat. Shoulder pressure to bottom of rib cage. Stand up- this lifts opponent's butt off the mat. Pass that trapped wrist under opponent's body, then scoot around to the side until it hurts so bad that s/he has to release guard and let you pass. (Man, this is unpleasant in several respects! Especially on that shoulder!)

Spars with Jalen, Ari, then Jalen again. Ari tapped me about half a dozen times in as many minutes, including twice in a row with the same head-and-arm choke, which frustrated me quite a bit. Jalen and I started in standup, which was fun.  I actually got one tap on *him* today- an RNC, although he made me crank it for a really long time before he finally tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment