Thursday, May 3, 2012

Takedowns


If you teach self defense as primarily a physical skill, you limit the chances for success for the less-physical students, who are far more likely to be victimized anyway.- Rory Miller


Thursday: 133.0

Thursday lunchtime BJJ Gracie Bellevue. All spars. 5 min spar followed by 5 min off, for an hour. After this, no one wanted to stay for open mat, ha ha. We were all standing on the wall puffing and blowing like a bunch of buffalo in heat.

Nelson, Ross, Angela, Luis, Glenn, Nelson again. Nelson got an ankle lock submission on me, and I think Angela got a sub or two on me. I got one on Nelson (guillotine). Glenn didn't get any on me, which I am happy about, although I spent quite a bit of time in bottom half guard and some time back mounted. Luis was going light. He let me KOB him several times. Ross: I spiderguarded him most of the time, and when he started getting frustrated, I offered him a technique to get my foot peeled off- whereupon he passed. Did some spider on Glenn as well, but he doesn't need any help to deal with that!

Nelson and I spent about 2/3 of our time in standup, which was awesome. He is a judo blackbelt and a teacher. So of course I didn't get any takedowns on him, and he got a whole bunch on me- but I made some attempted setups (several different things, too), and defended many of his attempts adequately. He was mostly getting me with a followup ankle-hooking maneuver of one stripe or another, after I had defended a throw. These are harder for me to defend than throws, especially when our arms are in the way and I can't see what his feet are doing. I feel really safe working takedowns with Nelson, so it's wonderful to just play around with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment