Friday, September 28, 2012

No Five Guys tonight.


Many people train and prepare by walking along the way of the warrior, but never discover, or maybe just forget, what battle they have been training for. The battle rages in front of their eyes and they don’t realize it. The small psychodramas of daily life distract them to the point of taking away their global vision and making them forget why they set out walking the warrior’s path in the first place. Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Friday lunchtime BJJ at GB Sea.

Carlos is competing this weekend. He mentioned it while we were lined up. Someone commented, "I guess you won't be going to Five Guys tonight." Oh, that guy got such a glare.  ;) I spoke up, "No- he's already wearing a saran wrap shirt under his rash guard!" Which he was!

Same stuff we did yesterday, only we started from standing double-legs (grab the calves, not the thighs), and the attackee was to snap the attacker down and end in sprawl with hands hooked under attacker's armpits. (My bad wrist wasn't very happy about being thrust to all fours repeatedly- and I had a fairly enthusiastic partner. Bruises on knees too.)

My partner tried to tell me I was using the wrong arm and leg, because I was working against her post... I knew it was the correct arm and leg, but it took us a while to figure out that if you leverage it correctly, the opponent can post till the cows come home and it won't make any difference.

I also figured out today (don't ask me why this didn't occur yesterday- but this is why I like doing sequentials of the same class) that HALLELUJIA, in live rolling I don't actually have to strain my brain to remember which arm and which leg it's supposed to be- because if I do it one way, it's this technique- and if I do it the other way, it's the sweep that Carlos showed Ben and me a few weeks ago. Even better: to defend one, the guy has to lean in one direction, and to defend the other, he has to lean opposite. If only I can keep my wits about me, I can try one and then switch quickly to the other and have him help me sweep him.  I've been trying to not turtle so much, but now I want to turtle all day long and try to catch somebody with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment