Thursday, September 13, 2012

That Guy!



Just like animals attack when they perceive fear and weakness, people can unconsciously feel a person’s power and will probably avoid conflict with those who are animated by deep self-confidence. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

-----
Friday:
Sore thighs! The ThighMaster has nothing on upa drills!
------
Saturday FOD: Catherine Dao
------
Sunday FOD: 5 Points Of the Star
Allie (the Clear Belt) has been purple-belted. I missed the announcement- because she didn't MAKE ONE.
---------
Monday FOD: White Crane Walking the Path
----------
Tuesday FOD: Kiu 2. I am happy to say that I did not mix up any of the parts today- all of the pieces of part one were in part one, and all of the pieces of part two were in part two.
------------
Wednesday FOD: Tai Chi short form.
------------
Thursday lunchtime BJJ Gracie Bellevue. I wish there weren't so many restaurants on this block. On my way in and out of class- and sometimes DURING, if it's hot and the door is open- I can smell all sorts of delicious food cooking. This I don't need, especially while I'm trying to watch my weight.

I was able to do pushups today, but the trick wrist continues to pop in and out. I almost screamed this morning when I sat up in bed and leaned on it.

There was a recent thread on Jui Jitsu Forums about bullies on the mat, and I referenced That Guy: the one that I knew- as soon as I saw him walk into the room- I wanted to stay far away from. He walks with his arms held away from his body as if he's holding a football in each armpit. He also walks bowlegged, as if he's trying to give the impression that his junk is so outsized that he has to swing his leg wide to clear it with every step he takes. You've seen this guy. I've seen him a hundred times, wearing a hundred different faces, and behind every one of them is an egotistical jackass.

Well, I resolved to never go near That Guy- but to my surprised dismay, Carlos paired me up with him today. As the guy bowlegs his way on over, Carlos says warningly, "You know how to go gentle?" Guy says, "I am a gentleman." Hmmm. We'll see.

Four seconds later, we all saw- as That Guy shoved my head down and sprawled on top, then picked me up in a bear hug and hurled me aside as if he was going up against Brock Lesnar in a ten million dollar NHB match. I don't think I've ever rolled with anyone who used anywhere NEAR that much muscle. Spazzy as heck, too. Fortunately, I was expecting exactly that- and while it was not much fun, I have enough experience at this point to be able to take a beating and mostly protect my breakable parts (ribs!). Carlos stopped us immediately and reminded The Guy to go gentle. I think he watched us the entire eight minutes, and stopped us twice more- once to tell The Guy to not knee-ride me so hard, and once more to tell me to pull guard (???!). I know that's considered the "safe" option, especially against a big strong spazz, but for me it's the worst place to be. Doesn't he know by now that my sweeps suck, and that once I'm on the bottom, I'm just going to be lying down there till I get subbed? I'd rather end up in the guy's guard. My guard passes are decent, even if I can't break his guard and I have to wait for him to open with an attack. I know I need to work on my bottom game, but Hell, most of the time I wind up on the bottom sooner or later anyway- I don't need to intentionally *PUT* myself there.

It would've been really sweet to tap this guy (or put him out- I'd actually be really surprised if he would lower himself to tap to me)- but t'was not to be, at least not today. I came really close to setting up that alligator-roll cross choke on him, but he scooted out just as I was hesitating for a second wondering whether I dare actually go for it. But he didn't sub me, and he didn't injure me, and I didn't have to ask him to lighten up.

Eight matches total, eight minutes apiece, no breaks. The only person who subbed me was Ben, but I didn't get any subs either. I did spend significant time on top with almost all of my opponents (even That Guy, who did get a little less spazzy albeit no less muscley with the Prof's watchful eye on him).  That sweep from turtle- I tried it twice and did not succeed, but look forward to trying it some more. Now that I have a plan from that position and don't feel so helpless, I also noticed that if I have one of the opponent's ankles in my half guard, I may have the opportunity to roll him when he tries to pry me off with his free foot. I tried that on Max and didn't succeed, but I scared him, and he had to move.

4 comments:

  1. Me too... but while it would have been nice to tap him- and while I was miffed that Carlos put him with me when he knew the guy was like this- I'm pleased that I was able to hold my own to some degree. I wasn't really scared, either. I wonder if it was some kind of test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about this some more, since I have rolled with "that guy", and I like to "play guard". Even with a decent guard game, in my limited experience I've found that it not the place I want to be with that guy. He will often just lay on me, rendering sweeping and submitting almost impossible, then he will strong arm me into some bastardized version of a submission which I will tap to just to get his stupid ass off of me.

    I rarely grapple with that guy anymore, but when I do I want top position (but I'm not very good at it yet). I have figured out how to negate much of his power play when I have him in guard, and how to weather the obnoxious storm, but I still can't submit him from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll talk more about this later, but I think I have internalized some complicated emotional baggage around the whole concept of starting a fight by pulling guard.

    ReplyDelete