Sunday, April 14, 2013

How to Walk Like a Narc


“It’s not gonna get any better.” –John Fogh


Boss is getting me access to a shower at the hospital, so that I can do the lunchtime class in Bellevue on Tues/Thurs on occasions that I have a 15:00 shift. The Bellevue school doesn't have a shower, and there just wasn't adequate time to go home in between. Felt like a waste.
-----------------
Told this favorite story on Jiu Jitsu forums today, and I can't remember if I've related it here:


I work for a charity that traps stray cats and spays/neuters them to help keep the stray cat population under control. This trapping often takes place in bad neighborhoods in the middle of the night, because this is when the kitties come out.

A friend and I were out on the railroad tracks in the middle of the night, in a Bad Place. There were cars parked all along the tracks- the people in them doing Lord knows what, but probably not playing Parcheesi.

I got out of the car and walked a ways down the tracks to look for the stray cat feeding station that I had been told was there. I could feel myself being watched by the people in the parked cars, and I was very consciously doing my "Don't F with me" walk- not quite a swagger or anything that would invite status challenge, just "I'm not prey".

I got back in the car, locked the doors, and my friend and I sat there in silence for a few minutes. Then, apropos of nothing, he suddenly turned to me and said, "You could never make a pot buy on the street, because you walk like a narc."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment