Friday, June 7, 2013

Nice try. No tap.


During a training session, when the rational mind slows down the flow of thoughts, the body begins to disclose its secrets. Consciousness is free to travel from one muscle to the next, and have access to powers unknown to those who can’t go beyond cerebral activity. This is not just a physical experience. It is spiritual. It transforms the body as well as the character. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path


Didn't make lunchtime class today, to my exasperation (with myself). I did, however, make evening class in Bothell.

Pummeling to double-leg. Note that the side with the underhook needs to have the foot forward. This allows you to push opponent's wrist down on the other side, drop to your knee (this knee should be between opponent's feet with good penetration) and do one "duck walk" step. Now your sole is on the mat and your head is against opponent's side. Grab behind both legs just above the knees and press with head. You need to try to squeeze the knees together in order to avoid finding yourself in closed guard once down.

Go to side control, then to front mount. From here, we did a keylock. Then an armbar. Note that for the armbar, grabbing with my left arm first is the EXTREMELY stupid side. I can keep it nice and tight, it just takes about twice as many little positional adjustments to get there. So I worked mostly that side.

Some positonal sparring from front mount.

One spar with Pam. She has great top pressure and excellent "explosions". I will be looking to her for inspiration on that last, as I continue to fail to integrate that into my game.

When I was done with her, I was pretty damn tired and ready to quit, but somehow I let Cindy chivvy me back onto the mat to go with Eric (partly because Pam was about to volunteer, and I am nervous at the idea of letting any women aside from Cindy and Angela go with Eric).

Eric likes wrestling cradles and loop chokes. He dominated me utterly, and I was lying helplessly on the bottom the entire time. On the other hand, he was obviously trying his goddamndest- with all his muscle and explosive spazz- to get a tap.... and he did not succeed. Near the end of the round, I figured he had to be getting tired, so I tried to move a little more. I even tried to set up a triangle. It's frustrating...yet I'm pleased with myself for coming away from him without any injuries or any taps. He's a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment