Monday, November 4, 2013

Five days out




Unarmed arts only exist for emergencies you didn’t see coming. If you can predict it and plan it and force is unavoidable, it is stupid to go in without a weapon. For that matter, without getting every advantage you can. –Rory Miller



Evening BJJ at Kirkland.

Same techniques we did this morning. Additionally: Keylock, failed keylock to straight armbar, failed straight armbar to kimura. Note that this kimura requires both a switch of handholds and a "standard" motorcycle grip wrist turn.

Positional training from side control.

Then a couple of rolls with Izzy and a couple with Dave (both gi and no-gi with Dave). Dave was being a prince helping me out.

Found out that Izzy has a lengthy judo history. Now I feel a little better about how poorly I am doing against her... she seemed to be catching on scary-quick, and now I know why!!!

I've been having a great couple of weeks BJJ-wise, and I wish I could pinpoint why. It's not that I have been getting more taps or tapping less; in fact the scoring has been on the lower side for me. But I have just been kinda feeling like I sort of know what I'm doing. Wish I could bottle it.


Tournament in five days. I would shank somebody for a piece of garlic bread right now.

2 comments:

  1. On a purely historical note, unarmed martial arts in China seem to have evolved in part for explicitly meditative or spiritual purposes. Or so argues Meier Shahar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are good for that, and for conditioning, and for when your gun gets knocked out of your hand, and for when you're attacked in the shower.

    ReplyDelete