Friday, March 25, 2011

Lamont hearts leglocks



I know people who are healthy, strong and agile, but they are not aware of it. Their bodies possess a wisdom that they can’t access. They are like little gnomes who direct the body from the control room; prisoners within their heads. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



Friday evening no-gi at Cindy's.

Break guard and disengage again, Leapfrog the legs and get front mount again. Throw the legs to the side and pass guard again (various permutations).

Then a few new ones, where they've got their legs drawn up to their chests and you're on top- getting past the legs and getting side control. Including that scary one where the person standing is basically doing a flying triangle in on the person sitting. Once you're on them, there are five or six different subs on the menu. This is a cool move, but I don't know how useful it's going to be for me- because I'm way too anxious about landing too hard on the person's ribs. If I find myself in a position to STEP in and do it, I might- but I dunno about the LEAPING in and doing it.

Rolling with Leilani and another George (call this one George II). With Leilani, more sweep practice for us both. More of me putting her into bottom half guard and having her get the underhook and escape out the back. I'm still having to remind her sometimes, but she's getting there. If I want her to sweep, and she's just struggling fruitlessly under me, I'll say, "Don't flail- have a plan," My table analogy seems to be helpful for her. She talks about it all the time. :) If she's in bottom half guard, I just have to pause and say, "Where are you now?"

It gives me a lot of pleasure to think that my working that with her right now will mean that Leilani won't spend year two of her jiu jitsu career lying helplessly in bottom half guard the way I did. I really enjoy feeling like I can help newer people (especially other women) avoid pitfalls that I found myself stuck in and had to work a long time to get out of the hard way.

I also made sure to tell Leilani today how much it is helping my game to be able to work sweeps with her.

I had been watching George II roll with George and with Lamont, and he was going hard and spazzy! So I was a little worried when Cindy put him with me next. I told him to go light on me. He was a little rough but not too bad. He tooled me.

I asked George and then Lamont to roll with me. They were both letting me get a lot of positions, and they each let me have a tap- so I must have been doing okay. They both agreed that I am feeling heavier. Lamont and I started in standup, and he let me get a couple of takedowns (including a double leg). Tonight was leglock night for Lamont. He leglocked me about a half-dozen times from different positions, the show-off.

Those were good educational rolls with George and Lamont- and really sweaty ones too!

Yay- A few of Cindy's lunchtime classes are coming back!
Dang- they're on Tues and Thurs, which are the same days Gracie has lunchtime classes in Bellevue (the nicer commute). Oh well, it's better than nothing.


I'm dying to hear how the PanAms are going so far.... the results I've been able to find, I'm not seeing any of my friends placing. :(


(pic- Alecia (in blue))

No comments:

Post a Comment