Tuesday, May 31, 2011

BJJ on a wood floor.....


....it looks a lot like this (see pic), only over one's entire body.




Archery is, therefore, not practiced solely for hitting the target; the swordsman does not wield the sword just fort he sake of outdoing his opponent; the dancer does not dance just to perform certain rhythmical movements of the body. The mind has first to be attuned to the Unconscious. –D. T. Suzuki



Saturday's Form Of the day was the Tai chi long open-hands form, for the third time. I was finally able to get through the whole thing. Need to transcribe that one. Sunday's form was Five Animals. I feel mostly okay about that form. Today's form is Leopard Fist. I was at work alone half the night and it was very slow, so I was able to do two reps of that one as well as two reps of six or eight other forms.

SK and I had planned to go to Cindy's lunchtime class today, but I found out last night that Cindy has dropped the lunchtime classes again- argh! Probably because enough people weren't showing up, but the only reason I haven't been there was because of my dead finger.

Normally I would have suggested we roll outside in the grass instead, but it was raining, so my next option was to repair to my (non-MA) gym. Problem is, they don't have mats there. Not that this would necessarily stop us. We are defense-oriented martial artists, and as RS would probably say- "You never know when you may have to grapple someone on a wood floor,"

Gi's seemed more practical than no-gi. Grappling on the wooden floor turned out to not be quite as painful as I'd feared (although we got plenty of bruises); the real problem was the SLIDING, the lack of purchase for me on the bottom- trying to scramble into turtle or anything else on my knees was like Bambi on ice.

We even began from standing (cuz we're just suicidal that way).

SK was frustated because he couldn't sub me at all today, and asked if I'd been taking it easy on him Sunday. I said no, that he just had a small bag of good tricks, and on Sunday I got refreshed on what they are- so today I was ready to avoid/defend them. He's not doing anything wrong- in fact he rolls really well for a two-stripe white belt- he just doesn't have enough technique to do more, and it is frustrating to him. He complained that every single thing he tried, he seemed to be doing it correctly, yet I had a counter to it. I said, "Well, yeah, that's what it's all about when you're rolling with a higher belt."

We rolled for two hours straight, then had ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous, I want to roll for two hours straight then have ice cream, too! Although I'm not sure if I want to do that rolling on a wood floor...I have grappled on wood before, but I am too bony for that, or perhaps just too wussy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely notice (among other effects) that with the few additional pounds I've lost recently, there is less padding and thus hitting the floor is a bit more painful. But I did gain half a pound back from the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete