Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Finger fail- again


Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Lunchtime BJJ at Cindy's. I am so happy that lunchtime classes are back at Cindy's, especially since the next two weeks are going to be very work-heavy and my BJJ attendance is going to suffer.

We did round-robin timed spars, starting from standing. Perfect, that's just what I would have wished for. Lamont let me take him down a couple of times, although it was obvious that he was LETTING me. I got thrown by Cindy a whole lot.

Note to self: Cindy wants me to brace my free foot on Lamont's butt and ROLL when he leglocks me.

It only took a couple of rounds before I was exhausted. Felt like I was gonna have a heart attack.

Then I got thrown and landed on my right hand. There was that (now all too-familiar) crackling sound.

It's the middle finger (I displayed it pointedly to them both) on my right (dominant) hand. The distal joint is bent a little funny, there's a purple half-moon bruise under the nail, and the whole shebang is swollen. I can tell you this now, but for the first hour after I did it, I slapped an ice pack on it and was too scared to look at it.

I don't think anything's broken, but it feels sinkingly like that sprain from January... the one that kept me benched for a long time. I'll know more in a few days. Right now, I can't even turn the turn the car ignition key with my right hand. It seems to be only that one finger that's injured, but presently any attempt to use the hand pulls painfully at the injury.

I'm vexed... this hand might well not be recovered sufficiently in time for the Revolution. If I can't grip adequately with my dominant hand, I can't compete. And what kept me benched even longer with the last finger sprain was the inability to take the pressure of bodies rolling over the injured part.

Just checked my blog archives (handy-dandy, this blog is sometimes!). I sprained my finger on Jan 8. Three weeks later I was sparring again, but not full-bore. I'm still complaining about the finger well into February. This isn't looking hopeful... but maybe once I can stand pressure on it, it won't be so functionally crippling because it's not the index finger this time. There may also be more taping options this time. I didn't tape the previous finger sprain because that just made it hurt more- as well as made it stick out more ("please injure me again!"), but THIS finger has buddies on each side- once the pain dies down some, I might be able to tape the middle three fingers and use a "cup" hand.

I was 131 this morning. I'm going to proceed on the assumption that I'm going to recover in time for the comp. I need to be 129.... preferrably 127. That means that although I'm definitely going to be benched for a while, I am ***NOT*** going to lie around the house eating. If I'm not at work, I'm going to go observe class, or else go to the (non-MA) gym and work on Kung Fu forms.


Fabiana's in town! I wanna get a chance to roll with Fabiana!! Arggh! I hope I am not going to be injured during her entire visit the way I was last time. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment