Wednesday, March 21, 2012

More Wednesday



There are things that cannot be caged within the limits of geographic or racial boundaries. They are paths open to anyone whose heart beats for something more than simple inertia. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path


I went out and hacked at the bamboo-like water reeds with my new khukri. True that these were dead, and not as thick and hard as actual bamboo, but still- the khukri went through them like a hot knife though butter. Then I went after some of the invasive English ivy that is constantly threatening to engulf our trees to death. This is a job not as well suited to that tool; however, the khukri was really good for hacking the very thick, woody, prickly stalks of mature ivy- stuff that normally you have to labor at with a handsaw.

I am not so stupid as to ever cut toward myself (something I learned at that restaurant, where I spent a vast amount of time over a cutting board with a huge knife in my hand)- but with this weapon, one must also pay attention to where the arc of your swing is going to end up- even if there are a lot of things in the way that you don't think will all get cut through. Getting sloppy with this is a good way to chop your own leg off.

I don't like to cut living plants (English ivy that is strangling trees is an exception), so I didn't hack anything else. Once the blackberries (also invasive and ubiquitous here) get well underway, I may have to see how the khukri does with those.



Evening BJJ at Sleeper.


Closed guard to butterfly guard, put one foot on bicep, pull both sleeves while hipping up, triangle.

Closed guard, grab both sleeve cuffs. Turn onto left hip and place rt shin over opponent's left forearm. Now you can let go of that cuff and grab the other cuff with both hands. Yank with hands and push with leg. Triangle.

A little king of the hill, closed guard (sweep or submit) vs pass.

One roll with Cindy and one with Jim.

I had worn the baby-blanket pink gi because this is now the only one I have which is not covered with Gracie Barra patches. I don't think Cindy is insulted by people wearing GB stuff on her mat, but still.... I thought as long as I still have one clean gi, that's what I'll wear. I really notice, though, especially during free rolling- the fact that this gi is so big on me really is a handicap.

Mondo gi burn on the chin, neck and jaw from all that triangling. I put some aloe vera gel on it. I *really* hope we're not doing chokes tomorrow lunchtime. That is gonna hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment