Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday

From school playgrounds to abusive marriages, from dark streets at night to our very private nightmares, the theaters in which the prospect of physical conflict divides humanity into fearful prey or fighters are more than can be numbered. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Sunday: 133.0. Last night I was still hungry after dinner, but I just didn't want to deal with the chopsticks any more. Tried to hold out, but I was *so* hungry that I didn't think I would be able to sleep, so I stole a peanut bar from my housemate (170 cal). Better than the 290 cal that I would have otherwise had, but I need to make sure there's not crappy food available during these weak moments.

Sunday lunchtime BJJ at GB Seattle- drills only, since I had to rush home and take drugs to knock me out for a five-hour nap before going to work.

Kristen was there, John was there. Kelly was there, she got silver at the Revolution. Yay! She lost to the woman that I had to fight the last time I went- Lindsey asked what happened, and Kelly reported that the woman had mounted and she just never got out. I laughed and said, "Wow, that sounds familiar somehow!" That was exactly what that gal had done to me, while Lindsey watched!

Carlos reportedly had a really good fight, which I am supposed to watch on Youtube. Angela won, I'm told. I haven't heard anything else yet.

Rolled a little with Lindsey before class. He was back mounted or front mounted on me almost the whole time, trying to choke. I was saying "No choke for you! No choke for you!" while he tried to choke me, till we were both giggling… he could have gone for something else, but he had to have the choke. Finally he triangled me.

I drilled with John- Yay, again- he and Marc stand out as the two partners that we are always able to give each other a lot of really good feedback and just tighten everything up. We were doing escape from back mount. Note- try to keep ahold of the pantleg as long as possible, but do NOT put the fingers inside the cuff (pistol grip seems wisest), and turn toward the opponent's feet when you are trying to get belly-down. The key for John and me seemed to be getting the weight (such as it is- we are both small- this might not work at all on a bigger guy) on the opponent's chest and trying to keep it there. Also, controlling the far arm of the person trying to escape really threw a monkey wrench in it- much more so than trying to keep a choke. Even when I had a really good choke grip in, as soon as John turned, the wrist was bent in a way that made it hard to hold onto and impossible to finish. Thus it seems more productive to go for that far sleeve instead.

King of the hill- start in turtle, get back mount vs escape. Mixed success for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment