Wednesday, July 25, 2012

More Wednesday


Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.   –William Blake

Evening BJJ at Sleeper.

Armbar from guard drills- 2 cycles of 'em!  Erk!  I gotta admit that working with Jalen makes me, well, WORK. I have to hustle if I don't want to be a crappy partner for him.

Opponent is in your guard. One cross-collar grip, one back-of-bicep grip (same grips as this morning). "Crawl" up hir back with your legs and trap one shoulder in (you can push the shoulder back with your hand if that helps). Now attack the forearm that's on the same side as the shoulder you have trapped. Clasp it to your chest and curl your body like a Cheeto to bend it in a way that it does not want to bend. You can also gooseneck wristlock from here.

If the opponent tries to pull the arm back to the other side when you attempt to Cheeto it, use that momentum to armbar. Do it in 2 distinct steps- step 1 is turning your body and using both of your legs to bend the opponent down and sideways. Now you can adjust and finish.

I spent the entire rest of the class fighting a 70lb kid who is second-ranked in the COUNTRY for wrestling in his age group (He looked about nine-ish). It was interesting being the much heavier and stronger of a pairing. I tried really hard to not use my weight or my strength. I tapped him a couple of times (keylock, cross-collar choke), but he did a lot of technically impressive work- and a few times when he did a technically impressive sub, I gave him a tap. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment