Saturday, July 7, 2012

Richard's Rules






Today many people spend eight hours a day sitting before a computer or behind a desk, forcing their bodies to an unnatural stasis. Overworked minds, inert bodies. Depending increasingly more on an immaterial form of technology, we confine the body to a subordinate position. We grow detached from it. We forget its magic. We forget its power. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

--------

Sage Advice from Richard the Cat:

1. When you are wearing an e-collar, try not to throw up.

2. If you simply must throw up while wearing an e-collar, do not do so in a reclining position.

3. If you are foolish enough to upchuck while lying down in your e-collar, at least do it right in front of mommy- so that she can rescue you before you drown in your own half-digested breakfast.


Uh, yeah.  

Right up there in the Top Five All Time Most Disgusting Sights EVER.

This was my afternoon today.
----------

Today was the Revolution. It was nice to have a bit of an ongoing photo/results feed on the GB page. From that, I know that Kelly got gold in her division. Woo hoo!


Today was also a really nice day weather-wise. I knew that that did not bode well for Turtle Drum, especially combined with the fact that this is a holiday week with some people out of town, and some celebrating belated holiday events. Well, yeah- only ONE other person showed up. I asked her if she had any preferences- I am only a passable ecstatic drummer when I'm holding the space by myself, but if you want a trip, I'm your shaman. She wasn't sure what she was in the mood for, but that she would be happy to just stretch and zone out and enjoy the space. So I did the djembe a bit, a few simple and moderate rhythms. The accoustics were interesting. I had the fiberglass Remo, and every time I hit it, I got a bounceback that really sounded like a bunch of people in the distance drumming and hollering with me. So I zoned into that, then did about 40 min of heartbeat- which is always a win. There was a nice vibe going, even though I was competing with some sort of live singing event next door.

So even though it turned out to be a dud of a party, I think we both got a nice little buzz off that.


Technically, a second person showed up an hour and a half late, just as we had decided to bug out, so I told him I was closing up.


Well, hell, I had paid to rent the dojo for the evening. What should one do with a beautiful dojo that one has already rented for the entire evening? FORMWORK!!!!


I committed a sin in that I handled a couple of weapons that were lying around. You do not touch a martial artist's weapons without hir permission. I would normally not do that, and I have never laid a finger on any item in here before tonight- but it seemed a crime to not work weapons forms, since I actually had the space to do it. And there were in fact weapons lying about begging to be lifted and wielded. They were begging, I heard them. I hope that the weapons were for general use of those in the dojo. Anyway, there's almost nobody on the planet who is going to handle your weapons more respectfully than I. (Can I still say that now that I've touched a sword and a bo without explicit permission?)


Anyhow, lightning did not strike me down, and I did all my weapons forms. Then all of the Shaolin forms that I could remember (not the frags, just the ones I know all the way through). Five Animals, Little Red Dragon and Leopard Three both ways. A few of the others twice, if they seemed either particularly poor or particularly transcendant the first time through. It was nice to have so much room and a good floor, to do the weapon work as well as the rolls and flying kicks that I often have to micro-fu my my through if I am doing them at work or at home. (Note that the last roll in Wood Monkey is on the left shoulder so that you can kick with the right foot.)


Forms were a little odd because I was wearing a dress. However, most of my dresses are ones that I can fight or do forms in, in a pinch. Luckily I was not wearing something short or tight.


During breaks, I did a few chants. Kiss the Earth Again. Jump At the Sun- almost forgot about that one. That is one of mine. I need to put that chant in my weblit. I keep meaning to share it with Pathwalker, but every year I forget, or don't get an opportunity.  I may do that one in the next Turtle Drum. The facilitators have discussed allowing some chants- normally spoken words are highly discouraged, although nonsense-sound chants are fine. We're a little anxious that Pagan stuff (which is larely what Tasara and I, at least, know) might scare off some attendees. We also don't want the event to turn into open mike night where we end up being held hostage by one singer hogging the space.


Anyway- I can sing. I usually demur that I can't sing- just like I usually demur that I am a lousy drummer, my forms all suck, and I can't do jiu jitsu. Well, ACCEPT YOUR POWER. I can sing, and I can move energy with voice, and I can glamour with voice.  So there.


Tomorrow I'll be insisting again that I can't sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment