Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Guard pulls and more guard pulls




Archery is, therefore, not practiced solely for hitting the target; the swordsman does not wield the sword just for the sake of outdoing his opponent; the dancer does not dance just to perform certain rhythmical movements of the body. The mind has first to be attuned to the Unconscious. –D. T. Suzuki


"Pink Team" followed by "All levels" in Bellevue.

Pink Team: guard pulls from standup... light resistance, pull to a variety of open guards.

Then: scissor sweeps and situp sweeps. Drills, then try to sweep partner with light resistance.

Saeki's guard passes are getting very good. She seems to get intimidated easily. I hooked behind her neck somewhat aggressively while we were doing the standup, and told her "I'm doing this repeatedly because I can tell it's freaking you out. Don't get intimidated." I think she is mostly working in the Pink Team classes, and not getting roughandled much. I'm going to try to push her envelope there a bit, while being verbally encouraging.

All levels: a little more guard pulling, a little bullfight pass setup drilling, then rotating short spars with multiple people. I went hard on Crisanne, which continues to mean more and more work for me as she continues to get better and better. I tried the spider guard and lasso stuff again, and found that it is quite a bit more difficult on people with long arms. Some people have arms that are longer than my legs, sadly enough.

After class, Lindsey tried to get me to play on the balance ball. She and Casey are completely obsessed with this. I was able to kneel on it within a few minutes, although standing was possible for only a few seconds before losing my balance. It would be so funny to be able to stand on it before Casey is able to do so.

I am really sore all over tonight. Getting out of bed in the morning is going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment