Monday, November 8, 2010

sick

Well, a series of unfortunate events conspired to keep me from seeing Lindsey yesterday. I did get to about 40 min of Cindy's open mat. Then I realized that I did not really have the focus required to drive myself to kung fu and back, and I couldn't call SK for a ride because my phone is still fubar'ed. I NEVER miss kung fu- even when I'm too injured to do anything, I still show up to watch. I was really upset at missing these two things, but as someone who has always worked bizarre hospital hours, I'm very aware of my consciousness level and careful to not get behind the wheel unless I know I'm safe to drive. Also, my knee was still hurting... and when I did get home, I realized that I was coming down with something. I think I might have the flu. So I guess it's for the best. I hope I didn't infect everybody at Cindy's place. The irony is that I get a free flu shot through my work, but I haven't had time to do it as of yet.

Anyway, no lunchtime class for me, and likely no evening class either- unless I feel LOTS better by then.

The "middle-sized" people at Cindy's open mat (which category includes me, since there were small kids there to make up an even "small"er category) were working takedowns, which I decided to take a pass on because of the knee. So I did several rolls with Ian. We actually tapped each other out, for a change. I got him once with a choke- it was really sloppy form, but things were tight enough that he tapped anyway. He got me TWICE with triangles, to my disgust. It took him a really long time to finish them once he got them on. He turned us over so that he had a mounted triangle, but the angle wasn't quite right. He eventually figured out that he had to pull on my head to make me tap.

Then I did a couple of short rolls with one of Cindy's kids, at her request. It was a 12-year-old who seems pretty new and clueless, so I went really easy. I got her in loose side controls, and loose back mounts and let her work her way out, then I put her in my guard and let her defend while I went gently for triangles and kimuras.

No comments:

Post a Comment