Monday, April 25, 2011

The Micro-arm defense


Because of the physical nature of martial arts, we can’t lie to ourselves. There is no need for somebody to tell us whether we are moving mechanically or are truly present. When you are there, you know it. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path




Monday lunchtime BJJ at Gracie Seattle.

Prof Carlos seemed very focussed on working off that Easter candy. He drove us hard- it was like a competition class (which it wasn't specifically supposed to be). Lots of fast, hard drills. Conditioning, a little positional sparring. I couldn't stay for open mat after; I was wiped out.

I did a short match with Bree at one point; was in bottom half guard almost the entire time. She commented, "Good half-guard... You've been training with Bryan!" Heh. After she got her leg out for a millisecond and I immediately latched back onto it, I crowed, "Nope- Mine!!!" and she started laughing. She said,"You're the only person who always makes me laugh WHILE we're rolling," "That can be construed as insulting, you know." She finally managed to tap me with a choke. I was irritated with myself. She is another person who has only been training half as long as I, and I really feel I ought to be- if not beating- at least holding my own against..... and I am frustrated that she taps me and I never tap her.

Short match with Tony, a smallish blue belt. I was imprisoned in his closed guard, and he tried mightily for almost the entire match to use muscle to force my arms into position for either an armbar or a triangle. I couldn't do much against him, but I'm grimly satisfied that I successfully defended. I had to keep shifting angles and bracing my hands/wrists/elbows against other parts of my body so that he couldn't lever them into place with strength. Some of those defenses took a little thinking out. Finally I said (half jokingly, half serious), "Just let me out, huh?" He did, and I passed, and got in top side control (Ha!!!)

I also escaped armbar attempts by both of them, by virtue of the "Micro-arm" defense. That works sometimes against people that I don't fight very often- they forget that they'll need to adjust their technique for the extreme shortness of my arm.

Carlos called me out on having "ballerina toes" during one drill- dang, I wish I could break that habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment