Monday, April 18, 2011

Rolling with Jiu-jiu!



When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.





Monday gi night at Cindy's, with Julia!

Lamont told me that the chocolate gi looks like suede. Nice! He and Leilani were the first people (other than online) to actually like my brown gi.

While we were waiting for the kids to finish up, Cindy had me do two matches with Lina. She showed decent aggression in standup (did a masterful guard pull on me once), but was hesitant about trying subs on me. With some encouragement and coaching from Cindy, she finally applied an acceptable armbar. It's nice to hear the kids cheering for each other from the bench. Cindy is trying to encourage a strong team mentality in them.

I'm almost certain I heard a few small pitiful moaning sounds from Julia's direction during the warmups.... and we didn't even have to do Dead Bugs! It was a light warmup! I guess we have to cut her a little slack, though, seeing as she has done (IIRC) eleven classes in the last seven days!

We drilled escapes from bottom side control. Although I have seen all of these before, I continue to not be very skilled at getting out of bottom side control.

Julia giggled all the way through Cindy's "This isn't mean" speech. "If you're pushing on the side of his face and it hurts, all he needs to do is move his face! If he doesn't, and it keeps hurting, that's his fault and not yours." Julia then gave me grief for apologizing every time I had to grind the sharp side of my forearm bone into her face (usually pulling her hair as well).

I wish we'd had a little more time to do live rolling, but unfortunately the capoeira class was following us and we had to vacate the mat. She let me take her back a couple of times first, though.

It's fun bringing visitors into my gym. Everybody wants to come visit us, 'cause we're AWESOME.

5 comments:

  1. No pics of this momentous blogger meet-up? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia took a few pics; which may or may not appear at some point on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a dork and didn't see this until today. YOU MENTIONED ME! I'll definitely link to this when I write the article. I have some pics of you rolling with me that have a blurry face in them.

    And yeah, I'm a pitiful warmup gal. I make no bones about me STILL not being in awesome shape. ^_^

    It wasn't the sharp forearm bone that kept getting me--it was the HEADGEAR! That stuff HURTS! Forearm in the face ain't nothin compared to that!

    Dear slidey--I have the pics riiiiiight heeeere and yoooooou can't seeeee themmmmmm! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah. I'll just have to make up pictures in my head of some kind of anthropomorphic fox with lots of tails, wearing a gi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just make sure I'm on TOP in all these mental pictures.

    ReplyDelete