Sunday, July 24, 2011

Angry Snake Defending Its Lair


’Feeling’ other people’s intentions when there is no time to comprehend is not a special talent reserved for enlightened masters. Only a bad relationship with our perceptions and a poor regard for our intuition can take this fundamental weapon away from us. Centuries of strict rationalism and skeptical philosophies have contributed to undermine our natural sensitivity. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



Today's FOD is Black Crane 3. Yesterday's was the Snake Dao fragment (fitting, since I knew we were going to be working on that again today and would have had to go over it beforehand anyway). Friday's was Chen Dao. I threw the Chen Dao stone back in the "working" bowl because I struggled a bit with the two low scissor blocks after the three big circular techniques.

Sunday competition class at Gracie Seattle (first hour only).

Lindsey exclaimed "Oh no, the Little Monster is in the house!" I said, "You missed me, don't even try to deny it." (I wonder if "Little Monster" is going to end up being my "jiu jitsu nickname".... I guess I could do worse...)

It was beautiful outside, so as I expected, we had a small group (6 of us plus the teacher). It was hot as a broiler in there, and my cardio has backslid. Lindsey loves to make us run, of course- argh. Then he made us do three hundred crunches (I am not kidding- we counted them out) and some other stuff. Then it was rotatng takedown spars from standing (restart as soon as someone gets a takedown). I got exhausted pretty quickly, and was not doing too well.

People continue to have a bitch of a time throwing me (and I can sometimes take their back while they're trying), but I continue to be embarrassingly vulnerable to the double-leg. People can usually grab a single leg on me as well, but most often that doesn't get me down- like the throw attempts, I remain upright and can often turn it into a back grab (or at the very least, a guard jump).

As per usual, I didn't make a lot of attempts myself- and what few I made were poor. I tried the fall-backward-and-flip-him-over-my-head-with-feet-in-his-hips thing on three people, and succeeded with one (it was sloppy, but I managed to get on top, so I'll call it a success).

It hurts so good to get back in the BJJ gym.


Sunday Kung Fu. SK and I were the only ones who showed up. When that happens, he feels okay about saying he wants to bail early because he's hungry- and I can't really protest. So we only did about an hour. But we got some good work done on the Snake Dao (aka "Angry Snake Defends Its Lair"... I was thinking it was "White Snake defends Its Burrow" It is indeed a White Snake form, but I had the name wrong.)

At the very beginning- hold dao at a 45-degree angle with blade down.

Make sure to place both feet side by side and touch the hilt to the right hip before going into the lunge-and-thrust.

The first lunge and thrust is different from the others: instead of bracing the hilt with your left palm and having the blade to the side, brace your left palm on your right forearm and have the blade toward the ground. It's going to take me a little time to grind that one in.

After the slice, turn and split that I learned last week: Step forward with right foot into a forward stance and stab dao backward behind you under your left armpit. You can turn your head to look where you're stabbing, but do not turn torso. left arm crosses to block at neck (as in Black Crane).

Step forward with left foot and turn to your right, sinking into a low horse. Bend at the waist and duck head as low as possible, as you continue that turn. End kneeling on left knee, facing the way you just stabbed under the armpit. The sword circles all the way around with you and then up above your right temple, held horizontally as your left hand presses forward at chest level ("pushing the corpse off your blade" motion).

Plant tip of blade in ground in front of your right toe (sharp edge to front), stand up and thrust kick groin level with left foot.

Bring blade back to hip and then overhand to hack. This isn't a huge motion (it doesn't have to be a full circle behind your hip). Hips propel the hack, as they turn back toward that opponent. The hack ends with a pull-back (sword) and press-forward (left hand at waist level).

Now you are at the starting point of the other previously-learned piece: where you scissor-step in front and press the blade forward.

(skipping previously notated section)

After the deep lunge, stand up and little hop/chop that I learned last week: Lift right knee up, brace dao with left palm at face and lunge/stab right. Make sure to extend fully (I need to watch that with all of my lunge/stabs).

Pull dao hilt back to face- pull arms as far to the left as possible. At the same time, pull rt foot in beside left.

Salute:

Chamber dao at right hip and rest back of blade beside your own neck. Chamber left fist at waist. At the same time, step forward with left foot. (This is weird to me... I have never done a chamber this way; all the Chen dao and other dao work I have ever done never holds the hilt like that, nor places the blade beside your own neck! Bizarre)

Step forward with rt foot into cat stance. Bring dao hilt up to chest level and cup both hands over hilt.

Step back with right foot and then with left foot, rechamber both arms as before.

Dang, I feel like I'm forgetting a few details.... it already starts to slip away in less than four hours. I didn't go directly home to make blog notes right after practice, that's why. I'll have to get it cleaned up next time.


SK let me try the form a few times with his metal dao. Man, that puppy is heavy. Too heavy (and too long) for me. I had a hard time stopping swings, etc, because the weight/momentum wanted to continue the movements. If I tried to use that sword regularly, my right bicep would be three times bigger than my left. I do, however, want to try the Chen Dao and Catherine Dao forms with this sword next time I get a chance.

SK showed me a piece of a different dao form and asked me what animal style I though it was. First I asked, "Is it one of the standard five, or is this a trick question (ie, Leopard, Hung Gar, etc)?" "One of the standard five." I saw elements of all of them except Dragon- so I didn't know- but I guessed Tiger. Then he wouldn't tell me the answer. "Do you not know, or do you know and just won't tell me?" "The latter." "I hate it when you do that." "I know. It is done to me, and I'm just passing it down." If it turns out to be Dragon, I'll be annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment