Tuesday, July 19, 2011

At least I'm not pre-diabetic


Without a mind reminding it of its limits, the body discovers new sources of energy.
-Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



Today's FOD is Long Qi.

I did a heme/chem panel on myself Saturday night. I had slept much of the day, had a piece of pizza around 5pm, and a can of Dr. Pepper when I got up to get ready for work around 8 or 9pm. I didn't feel very hungry at the time, so I didn't eat a meal before work. Got the blood drawn around 11pm-midnightish, and was surprised to see a glucose of 66. I guess it *was* sort of a "fasting" sample at that point, although I would have thought the soda alone would have popped it up higher than that. I said to my lab assistant, "I guess I should go get a snack, huh?"

I faxed the labs to my gyno (who had asked for them); the nurse left me a voice mail this morning telling me to eat more frequent meals with protein and carbs. (grin) She also wants me to eat some bananas, since my potassium was also a touch low.

The rest of the labs looked fine. My weight is still around 127, give or take a couple- despite my BJJ hiatus. I got my Jeep back today. I am going to try to make the commute into the city tonight and do class with JB. Should also be able to hit the Seattle school for lunchtime class tomorrow, although I will have to shower there and go directly to work afterward. This month and next month are heavy on the work schedule- I can't really complain, since I need the money (The repair bill for the Jeep is painful, plus the rental car costs, and all the bills from my trip last month are coming in now as well). Yes, I *can* complain, since it's making it harder to get back to jiu jitsu. Well, work: necessary evil.

CK will be in town Aug 4-13. Work again is going to interfere, but I should be able to get a couple of sessions with her. I am happy that the Form Of the Month program means that I am reasonably up to date on all of her forms and should not embarrass myself. MM will be in town the entire month, but I will likely not see a whole lot of him, since we will most likely not be having any Sunday classes in August.


Tuesday evening BJJ at Gracie Seattle. Pulling guard from standing, tripod sweep, foot-switch from failed tripod sweep to a sweep of the OPPOSITE leg. I adore the tripod sweep. I try for it all the time, but I never get it because I can't keep straight which things I'm supposed to be doing on the left versus which things I'm supposed to be doing on the right. But someday I'll get it.

Another trouble spot- I have a hard time remembering to keep my fingers out of the pants cuff. Rodrigo came over to warn me against that, and I did the very same thing on the next rep, drattit.

I drilled with JB, then did positional training (closed guard, then back mount) with one of the white belt girls from the self-defense class. She did very well.

I skipped open mat- I want to be careful to not kill myself after I've been off for so long.

2 comments:

  1. I love the tripod sweep if someone defends then I'll switch to xguard n it works pretty well. U have any tourneys coming up??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next Revolution is on Aug 20th.... Haven't decided for sure if I'm doing it. I've missed quite a bit of training time, and my broken finger is still a bit troublesome. I may go ahead and do it anyway, though!

    ReplyDelete