Thursday, August 4, 2011

Unhappy knees


Remembering who I am is the only thing I really need, but it is a never-ending task, because forgetting is very easy and equally easy is not realizing I have forgotten. Maybe our ideas, words and opinions remain the same, but inside a light fades. We are still who we are, but just a little less intense, less passionate, less alive, less of the person we can be. When this happens, what we need is to go through an experience that turns the switch back on. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



Today's FOD is the Tai Chi Jian form.

My FOD system has been conspiring to freshen me up on all the Tai Chi stuff right before CK arrives, which is good. It may, however, have been disingenious of me to tell SK about the FOD- because now whenever he encounters me at any time or place (even if we are not in class) he is prone to ask me what the FOD is and then demand to see it. I had to demo with a stick. He says that I continue to cheat the extensions. I think part of that was the fact that I was doing it with a bent tree limb.... but I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Walked for about an hour and half, then ate way too many carbs, then went to Kung Fu.

Conditioning. Pushups, iron buffaloes, squats, burpees, etc etc. I declined to run laps, because my allergies were really bothering me, and I had run out of decongestants. I was doing okay with everything else, then we did some horse-stance to scissor-stance walking. I did an extra half of a lap, and then my knees were unhappy for the rest of the class.

Tiger kick drill (I was forced to lead this one). Black Crane Drill #4, then #5 (the latter being new to RM today). Apps for #5.

Individual forms time. I repped the jian form a few more times, then the short empty-hands form (I found two errors in my transcription... must go back and repair those), Cannon Fist, Long form. (I feel fairly confident at this point that I can competantly whip out any Tai Chi form CK asks for.) I also repped CC's version of Box Form. Knees rebelled at that point and said, enough formwork.

CN is planning Dragon material for this month's Sunday classes. Between that and the Tai Chi with CK, I really need to be icing my knees this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment