Monday, August 1, 2011

Outside hooks


The moment in which you know the real measure of your power, you don’t have to put on a show to prove your worth. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path


Today's FOD is Snake Versus Five Animals. Yesterday's was the White Crane Walking the Path fragment.


Sunday kung fu.

CN showed up! Apparently we are going to be having Sunday classes this month after all, with him covering. Unfortunately, I hear that he has slacked off a bit. His bo form was definitely faltering. (He could benefit from a Form Of the Day regimen!!)

JoE showed up to; he's another one we haven't seen in a while... although he had to sit down to rest a few times, as he has been ill recently.

We worked on Spear Hand (aka Punch and Jab), White Snake dao, the Northern Mantis Bo form, and some various bits of Black Dragon one- and two-step techniques.

Once again noting that Kitsune's knees do not like Black Dragon.

It was smugly gratifying to note that *everyone's* bo form was faltering... except mine. (I know, that's not very nice. But it's good to see that my effort is paying off)

I also have the smugness of being the only student who currently knows all of the Angry Snake form ("...because you're the only one who hasn't been skipping classes and has actually been practicing the form,") Ha. {preens whiskers}

We worked apps of the final few steps of Spear Hand that we know, and those were some really cool apps. Enough to make me decide that I actually LIKE a piece of Praying Mantis work.

Note that BOTH arms in the opening lunge of Spear Hand need to be straight. I keep wanting to bend my right elbow for some reason. Also, do not bend at the waist.

SK was laughing at me all the way across the yard because I was giving my training partners theatrical reactions when they did apps on me. Hey, am I supposed to be simulating getting hit or aren't I? A few tortured faces, a few agonized hair-flying head tosses, a little thrashing on the grass in death throes.... people should get some positive reinforcement when they do their techniques correctly, in my opinion.

The flying jump in Angry Snake has been changed. The left knee is no longer coming up first, the right knee is. I hate it when they do that. Especially as I recall working my butt off last summer trying to get that blasted technique refined with the left knee coming up first, which was *HARD*!!!! Now I can do it and look like a soaring eagle (if eagles wielded curved swords, that is). The new version is said to be "easier", but I struggled with it. No more soaring eagle- more like elderly one-legged turkey with rheumatism. I asked if I could leave mine the old way, and was told no. (pout)


Lunchtime BJJ at Gracie Seattle.

Strange sweep with an outside hook. It only got stranger from there, as we transitioned from an unsuccessful attempt at that sweep into an inverted guard (still with the outside hook) and a few different positional options from there. This was a little over my head (heh heh), although the positional training playing with hooks was interesting. I drilled with Angus, who always leaves me bruised up, but is good to work with. I like the way that he doesn't treat me like a girl.

Did one spar with a blue belt woman from a sister school, who shows up sometimes- I'm blanking on her name at the moment. She tooled me, but she did have some weight on me, and was very very strong.



More activities in the afternoon, that technically qualify as exercise.....


Evening BJJ at Gracie Bellevue. It was packed in there tonight- we were wall to wall like sardines.

Almost half an hour of double-leg setups, and single-leg setups, from standing. I was drilling with Ben, and we were just beating it out.

Basics- in guard with your head being hugged to chest, thumbs in armpits, swoop head out, breaking guard. Bullfight to KOB. (remember to step in with the crossover foot first- I continue to struggle with wanting to step with the outside leg first). Spider guard.

Spars with Ben, Steve, Kevin, and some white belt guy I don't know. Ben spanked me. Did better against Steve today than I did last time, although nothing to write home about. Kevin got a few things on me (including one really sweet sweep that I praised him lavishly for), but I mostly stayed a step ahead of him, although did not manage to tap him out. I held what seemed like good chokes on him for a long time, but he held out.

I ran a clinic on the white belt (which I feel slightly guilty about... he seemed like a real nice guy.... but he seemed to take it in the spirit of "wow, this BJJ stuff is incredible"). We got up to our feet several time and fought from there, which was a blast- he was just enough bigger and stronger to be intimidating, but I had more technique, and it was a charge to grab him by the lapels and face him down. He tried a few halfhearted reaps and things, but obviously doesn't know what he's doing yet. I got the summersaulting throw on him, although once again mucked up the finish. I tapped him twice- clock choke and guillotine. He held out a long time for the clock choke, but I knew it was good, so I held out too. After he tapped, he said ruefully, "I think I have a little too much pride."

Ben got his 2nd stripe. Jamie got his 4th- almost a brown. Little Carlos would have gotten his blue belt tonight, but it was decided to wait till after the Revolution. I hope to be there to see him get his belt. I remember drilling with him his very first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment