Thursday, August 16, 2012

"Avoid or reduce doing activities that are tiring, or take a lot of energy."



From an E-mail distributed by the King County The Regional Public Information Network (RPIN) today:
"Even young and healthy individuals can suffer in heat if they participate in strenuous physical activities during hot weather.
Avoid or reduce doing activities that are tiring, or take a lot of energy."
--------------------
Ha.
--------------------
Class #2: All spars.

There was a new medium-sized blue belt that I've never seen before. He didn't seem all that thrilled to work with me, but he was a good opponent.  Ben. Ritchie (sigh). Adrian (he was really nice about not muscling, which is good, because he is a HUGE purple belt). The big white belt cop that I was teaching a little on his very first day two or three weeks ago.

When I went with the cop, I reminded him to be careful with me- he's really big and he is also kind of spazzy. The spazz seems to be getting a little better, although he did slam on one armbar a little faster than I liked. I gave him the Serious Talk about putting his subs on carefully (especially ones like that). I also chided him for not having an inhaler (Honestly... I think any asthmatic who comes to do jiu jitsu without an inhaler needs a brain scan... as in, do you have one? You could DIE! And on a roasting day like today.) He's really loving BJJ so far, though. He says it's the best workout he's ever done. I think he's got one of his kids in here too.

I got him with Cindy's choke- the one where you get one deep cross collar grip and then grab a handful of the gi at the back of the other shoulder. He actually let out a little shriek of dismayed surprise when I socked it in. People (especially white belts) just do not see the choke coming because that second grip is so weird. I don't think it's in the GB curriculum, either. It is definitely one of my money-sub trinity (along with the keylock from the top and the guillotine from the start or from standup). Was wondering on the way home about trying to slip that guillotine in more often. I tend to only go for it right off the handshake, but I wonder if I could find more opportunities for it. Everyone I have worked with more than once or twice already knows about my guillotine fetish, and they know what they have to do to defend it.   :(

For the last two or three weeks, I've been trying to get that choke that Carlos showed us, where you get the first cross-collargrip and then stick your thumb in beside it and then slide it around. I've tried it on a whole bunch of people (including Carlos), but I don't think I've been in advantageous positions to finish it. I'm also still taking way too long to set up my chokes (to set up everything, in fact).


Meanwhile, the kids' class was not having class, per se- they were having a water balloon fight. I was kind of bummed that the adults didn't get to have one too. However, the cleanup did give us an extra interval of rest between classes. I also didn't mind lying there on the floor and watching men sweeping and mopping. That's a sight that the world could use more of. Like hippocampi. And almost as rare.

Class #3: all spars, although John and I started with several reps of the KOB and kimura drills from this morning. Then I sparred him, Hedge, and then An- the latter being a 3 or 4 stripe white belt that I've never worked with before. He turned out to be a great partner- he used almost no muscle, and he's medium-sized... this combined with our relative experience levels meant we were pretty evenly matched. I tapped him a couple of times (chokes, although neither of the ones discussed above).

Class #4: Uh, nope, not today. But lots of good training today nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment