Friday, August 17, 2012

Next time, I'll bounce




My definition of impossible has been overrun by external events so often as to take away from me any certainty regarding what is possible and what is not. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Okay, I challenge anyone to watch this without laughing. One of Cindy's littlest kids vs PROFESSOR CARLOS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQOgkOmE2oU

WIP: I figured out what to do with the missing piece of that one scene. Enter GIANT CONSTRICTOR!!! Yes, my protagonist is currently battling a giant constrictor. Unfortunately for me, this involves research in the form of watching videos of boas and ball pythons devouring helpless cute little mice, rats, and (gulp) a baby bunny. Coulda done without that... but I don't want to describe unrealistic snake attacks. Fortunately for my protagonist, she is far from helpless, and she definitely has more weaponry on her person than your average baby bunny. Dayum, those snakes strike fast, though. And not mouth-first (or even head-first), which  foils my initial few ideas of how to kill it. I haven't figured out yet how she's going to take it out. She's good, though. And very highly motivated to kill this sucka. I trust her. She'll come up with something. 

Friday lunchtime BJJ at Gracie Sea. The prof from Yakima was there and brought a couple of his students, including a white belt woman with what Marc and I decided are "triangle legs". Long, long legs and arms- I'm jealous- she's going to be using those to her great advantage as soon as she gets a bit more experience.

Rolled a little with Vince before start of class. I *FINALLY* managed to tap someone with that thumb-in choke that I've been trying to get on everyone for the better part of a month. Thanks Vince.

Visiting prof led the class. Remember those 100 armbars from mount and 100 triangles from guard that I was whining about a few weeks ago? Man, that was nothing. We started with a lot of running (which is really hard for me because of my breathing issues). Followed by a lot of brutal new (to me) line drills; then we circled up and did about twenty Brazillion cardio exercises- crunches, pushups, all sorts of things. I was invoking both Jesus *and* Mary before we were done, and I'm not Christian. It was brutally hot again today, too.

You have guard. Double sleeve cuff grips, feet on hips, push out a tad. Spread knees and keep opponent's arms on the outside.  One foot on bicep as in spider guard, other foot swings around and up and then sockets under opponent's armpit. Opponent puts the other knee up. You grab hir elbow (on the same side that you have your foot in the pit), turn, and omoplata. I'm not really suave yet with the omoplata, and there were a lot of details in this one that zoomed over my head, so I think we're gonna have to come back to this later when I'm a little more seasoned. At least I knew enough this time to grab the guy's belt to hold him there while I was trying to sub him.
                                                                    
Same entry, but this time you take the foot that was in the pit and stick it under the thigh that the opponent put up. Sweep with a cartwheeling motion. Letting go and posting with one arm allows you to end in a very neat front mount. Subs from this position are legion, especially if you were good about keeping hold of that arm. Same "this is a little beyond my current level" feeling as far as considering trying this live, although I was pleased to have grokked the technique enough to be able to execute it the first time on my purple belt partner- who couldn't figure out how to do it. He called over the prof to get corrections, explaining, "She's too flexible, I can't get the tap." Prof did it on me and tapped me instantaneously, then fixed the guy's technique and replied, "She's not too flexible- you're doing it wrong."  (I kept a straight face.)

Positional training from closed guard, Angela. I can't be competitive with Angela, she is just too far above my skill- and I was feeling kind of helpless and apologetic. Sorry Angela.

One roll with the visiting woman. I tapped her instantly with my handful-of-the-back-of-the-shoulder choke, then told her how to defend, and tried for it a whole bunch more times while coaching her on how to stop me.

Little bit of rolling with Dave, who suggests focusing more on the technical lift. I had gotten him with the grab-the-backs-of-your-ankles takedown... which I get quite a bit- but as often happens, I was too slow and clumsy to follow up properly and get on top. He walked me through it and had me technical-lift, which worked much better than I expected it too. We seemed way too tangled up for that to work, but it did (I even posted on his leg). I was able to not only get up, but dive smoothly on top. Focusing more on trying to get this- and trying it even when it seems like I don't have enough room or free limbs- may be a way for me to try to stay off the bottom. If I can habituate this, it ought to work really well because of my short legs.

A roll with Marc, which is always a real pleasure. He seems to have legs EVERYWHERE while I'm trying to pass his open guard. I think he should exploit spider guard more; it seems like that would be a real strength for him. The fact that we haven't rolled together in a while showed when he let me get KOB and he just lay there under it. "Don't you start THAT again!" After he did it two more times, I said, "The next time you let me get that and keep it for three seconds, I'm going to start bouncing." Then he started shrimping the heck out of there immediately (or better yet, keeping me from getting the knee in there at all).                         

Jalen kicking butt at UGF last weekend... look how big he's getting...he seems to double his height every year... by spring he's going to be way bigger than me and we won't be very well-matched any more.  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5CtQAroQFc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bjwq6iz3Sc&feature=youtube_gdata

No comments:

Post a Comment