Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cream puff buffalo



In order to resist [suffering] for a long time, we have to be able to move the mind somewhere else. Beyond the body, beyond the sharp teeth of Pain. We can keep on suffering stoically….. or we can use it to learn to move our consciousness at will. Pain and fatigue exhaust the body until the rational mind, not the least intrigued by all of this, decides to take off and leave us free to explore other states of consciousness. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

130.5
Although I had planned to get back down to 124 this fall, the last few weeks have been poor in the eating-sanely department. I have been really struggling with some depression, and feeling a strong urge to carb-load which I didn't seem to have the strength to fight too hard. Somebody left a packet of Saltines in the break room at work, and like an idiot I snarfed them, and that precipitated a bit of a cracker binge (crackers have dramatic expansion effects on my weight). My reaction to the "mock tournament" made me have serious doubts about competing again this fall/winter, and staying in my bracket is a good way for me to be disciplined about my weight... so that incentive wavered. Anyway, I bought some more eggs and chicken breasts this week, and I'm back down to 130.5, which is good.

Was planning on going back to Sleeper on Saturday, but I didn't have time to do both that and hit the bloodmobile. I was going to skip the bloodmobile, but then they e-mailed me while I was getting dressed for class and were whining that they'd only had 6 people so far- so I went and got harpooned.

Monday Form Of the Day: Plum Blossom Fist.

I think I know how to kill the giant constrictor.
--------------
Tuesday FOD: Jian form.

I stumbled on a link to a kung fu school and just spent a couple of minutes scrolling over pics of the students in class.... geez. I really, really, really miss Kung Fu.

My knees did not like Kung Fu much. I am already paying tuition at three gyms and don't have unlimited money.  It's not like I can't keep plenty busy with Jiu jitsu- and there's Muay Thai and capoeira available at Gracie's, both of which are intriguing.... but the balance of training jiu jitsu and kung fu was really nice. I miss striking, kicking, forms; I miss the focus on spirituality instead of on sport, I miss being able to discuss the "energy" of a movement without having people look at you like you just grew antlers.

Besides the time and money and commute and knees and divided focus and everything, the biggest barrier has been that I really connected with what was being studied by my previous group, and I had the most incredible teacher. I'm so sure that trying to do something else- with someone else- is going to feel like eating carob when what you really want is chocolate. It's just never going to cut it, and will make you miss chocolate even more. But today I find myself wondering, again. Loss of chocolate has been so painful that I haven't been able to consider trying to face carob. Could I really face trying carob and not be destroyed?
-------------------
Wednesday lunchtime BJJ at GB Sea.

Carlos seems to have been heartily inspired by the cardio blitz last weekend- so much so that he has decided to make a full week of it. Today we spent almost the entire class doing many of the same cardio exercises that we did last Friday. I was dragging, but we all were (except Carlos). We ended with iron buffalos. I was feeling sorta like a cream-puff buffalo by then, myself.....

Then that same single-leg takedown... only this time, you make two prelim entries during which your partner stiff-arms you. On #3, you let go of the sleeve and grab your own ear, rotate that elbow around partner's arm (this breaks hir grip)- then you can go for either the single leg or take the back instead.

From bottom side control: Place your top hand on partner's shoulder (you may need to rotate your elbow up and around to accomplish this). Bridge toward hir, and as you come down, use the little hole of space to get your other hand up by the first one. Turn a little toward opponent and wedge your top knee in right under hir armpit. If the knee is too low, you won't have as much leverage for the next move. (Resist the urge to try to make too much space before or during this- if you do, it straightens your arm and invites an armbar. It also makes a world of room for the opponent to reach in and cross-collar choke you.)

Next, bring your other leg overtop of opponent's head. S/he will think you're going for the armbar, and s/he will posture and pull the arm out. Go with hir and replace guard.

I found this technique- which I had never seen before- quite intriguing. I am always looking for an effective way to get out of bottom side control- and my short legs may prove to be beneficial with this particular move. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to drill it nearly enough.

After a session like that, it's very tempting to head for the locker room- especially if you plan to do more classes later the same day. I made myself stay and do a roll with Dominick and one with Marc.

Dominick tried to get me with the handful-of-the-back-of-the-gi-shoulder choke!! No way! After he gave up, I said, "That's my favorite choke." He laughed and said, "I could tell by the way you defended it that either you do it, or you've had it done to you." Then he got me with an armbar, using the very same tip of the body toward the head to pry off my defense that Eric showed me last week. Has this guy got a secret videocam set up at Sleeper?!?

Marc let me get a KOB, and I started bouncing on him. The next few times, he shoved me off quick. I said, "Nobody's EVER going to get you with this at a comp!"


Funny search term of the week: someone found my blog by searching on "aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh"

1 comment:

  1. "I miss the focus on spirituality instead of on sport, I miss being able to discuss the "energy" of a movement without having people look at you like you just grew antlers."

    I understand.

    ReplyDelete