Wednesday, August 22, 2012

More Wednesday




Without a mind reminding it of its limits, the body discovers new sources of energy.
 -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



LOL.... I checked one of the local "kung fu" schools with my tai chi teacher, and got (in part):

"...but the combination of the rather overwrought tone of the site with the bullshit..."

My response: "I knew I could count on you for the straight scoop."


Wednesday evening gi class at Sleeper.

We did some very basic things, because one of the moms (whose kid is in the kids' class) was with us for the first time. Scissor sweep (add a cross collar choke for those who were not new), failed scissor sweep to technical lift (to omoplata for those of us who were *not* having our very first day); Then the new woman practiced basic guard break and two different guard passes on me while others played King Of the Hill.

Note that for that gi choke, you yank the lapel hard with the same-side hand before running the cross hand up it like zipping a zipper. Note that for the omoplata, you need to grab opponent's wrist with your near hand and roll over your NEAR shoulder (which felt exceedingly odd on the Stupid Side).

Rolls with everybody except Cindy and the new girl. By the time I got to Terry (last), everybody else was watching and trying to coach me. Note that Terry likes to try to fold me in half while in my closed guard, and Cindy wants me to try to backstroke out from under him.  I was getting really tired (and not a little discouraged... in particular with the way it seems I can't prevent being swept and put on the bottom anytime the opponent wants), but they all kept chivvying me to keep moving and do this and do that, so I really pushed.


CK told me today that CN is moving to Boston imminently. I'm bummed. I haven't seen him regularly for about 3 years now, and not at all for about a year and a half, but I'm fond of him and he's a great teacher.... I'd always held out hope that he might teach again someday. Now I'm never going to see him again. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment