Friday, August 3, 2012

Armbars/triangles



Our bodies are the kingdoms of lost continents and unknown lands. Columbus, Livingstone, Stanley, Marco Polo, and Neil Armstrong are just Boy Scouts compared to the explorers of the inner space. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Lunchtime BJJ at Gracie Seattle. Carlos tried to kill us all today. Twenty minutes of single- and double-leg setups, followed by one hundred reps of armbar from mount, followed by one hundred reps of triangle from guard. After about 50 armbars, I thought I was gonna hurl, so you can guess what I felt like after the triangles. Prof came over and sat there right at my partner's head for one set of the armbars, telling me that he wanted me to finish by the time the number was out of his mouth. "Too slow, too slow."

Note that Carlos wants to see you post crossface with your other hand while you're setting up the armbar from mount. Note also that (re: takedown setups) Cornelia pinches the single leg hard between her knees, and that seems quite effective, so I started doing it too.

Thank Gods for Kung Fu training, specifically Dragon- with its lessons of recycling energy. Cornelia was pausing on occasion waiting for the count, and I was like, "Go, go, it's all about the flow, just keep flowing and don't break the rhythm." I cheerled for her all the way- I really find that that helps when people do it for me, when you're really starting to flag.  We both did very well with it, though. How many people could do this? We are warriors.

One roll with Bryan, in which we spent as much time discussing and breaking down moves as we did rolling. It's great to be able to pick his brain. We also got to watch Carlos do a small demo of a few different triangle escapes... including some discussion of what works for short-legged people versus what works for long-legged people, which is always great.

It'll be interesting to see what I feel like in the morning. I don't really hurt at all from yesterday's 4-parter. The toe is okay. I have a slight rib injury, high rear left. It hurts when I sneeze, and do left-elbow-to-right-knee, but it seems minor, and I think it happened a few days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment