Thursday, December 6, 2012

Butterfly guard sweep



(Being in a) Hard Zone demands a cooperative world for you to function. - Josh Waitzkin, “The Art Of Learning”

Form Of the Day: Little Red Dragon

The guy with the drill is still there, still drilling, but he has been much more subdued the last couple of days- which has been a surprising relief. Right knee is a little tetchy. Couple of sprung fingers. Eye still bothersome. All in all, not too shabby so far for day four of JJJC!

Lunchtime BJJ at GB Bellevue. Griff. With a 2 stripe brown belt. He is at Edmonds GB. I haven't seen him for years. He remembered me, though. He had decided to "take it easy" today- which apparently translated to coming to Bellevue and showing up for our class.

Carlos seemed a little overcaffeinated today- and we had Griff and a free-trial-class-virgin- so we worked pretty hard. Lots of line drills, including different types of breakfalls.

You have butterfly guard. Sit up and get an underhook with your rt arm. Sink it deep enough that you will not be armbarred. Yet you don't want the lower half of your body right up against your partner. You should scoot your hip back a bit. Both knees are bent, the left leg lying on the mat and the rt knee up. Partner grabs your knee on the "down" leg.

Grab partner's bicep with your free hand and pull it in between you so that s/he can't post.

Now take your "down" leg and pull it under/behind you, turning your body hips-down on the mat. Lift with your retaining butterfly hook, but this should NOT involve loading the person on top of you or doing a lot of heavy lifting with that leg. Once swept, there are a variety of finishing positions possible (scarf seemed to be working nicely for me).

To defend this sweep: Stick your free leg out, and post on the mat with your forehead as the opponent tries to somersault you. DO NOT POST YOUR HEAD FIRST... foot and *then* head.

Back to contestant #1: When you see your opponent posting hir head and foot, make sure your knee is on the outside of hir hip. Scoot your body out and up just a bit, bring your matward arm up and out, and place it on the back of the opponent's head. Lift, push, somersault the person.

Carlos often invokes Rene as a verbal example of a large-sized opponent and me as a verbal example of a small-sized opponent. He doesn't usually use me as a demo dummy. The size difference is clownish. Today he actually had me *DEMO* this last technique on him, to show that a mouse can make it work. He had to correct my knee-to-hip placement, but to my relief I managed to pull off the demo and not look like a moron in front of everyone.

Positional training from butterfly guard with three different opponents- just hold butterfly guard versus sweep. I did okay on top, and sucked on the bottom (second verse, same as the first!) All 3 people shut me down completely even though they were going light as per my request. I maybe could have replaced half or full guard, squirted out the side, or technical-lifted to standing- but sweep from butterfly guard I could not.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I just wrote a bit about the Butterfly Guard and Sweep here:

    http://www.jayjitsu.com/working-the-butterfly-guard-sweep/

    and got a kick out of your defenses of the technique. I'm planning on working my guard in class tonight, and if I get caught in anyone else's, I'll be sure to post my head AFTER I stick my free leg out.

    Thanks for the tips.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you can't enjoy the visuals- Carlos can get pretty funny when he dramatically demonstrates why **NOT** to do something.

    ReplyDelete